Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200

From: David Wright (david_c_wright_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 07/11/04

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 19:30:09 +0200

perfb wrote:

<snip>

>> AFAIAC, this was a 'feature'
>> and not a bug -- turn around is fair play: if you have a Linux box and
>> then install Windows on it, you can no longer boot Linux, so it's only
>> fair that if you have a Windows box and install Linux on it, Windows
>> should no longer boot. :-)
>>

> granted, the Linux dual-boot option is a nice feature that Windows
> does not have. But Windows doesn't need it, whereas Linux *requires*
> it, practically speaking.

Why does Linux require it? I've installed Linux on over 20 machines now and
none of them have ever required dual-boot...

> And if it doesnt work in some cases, whose problem
> is it? And is not just an incidental nicety for Linux, it is a
> practical *necessity* to have such a feature for Linux, for 90% or
> so of the present Linux users. Maybe, one hopes, in a few more years,
> this will not be so much the case.

The users, they are the ones left with the mess... Microsoft could easily
fix the bug by using the industry standards and dropping their proprietary
standards ;-)

> Therefore, imho, the dual-boot is a *critical* feature,
> which *must* work as robustly as possible.

In my experience, a redundant feature. The last dual boot machine I had was
in 2000, a Windows 98/Windows 2000 trial; and when trying to de-install the
trial, it hosed the 98 partition as well...

> Anyway, I am pretty impressed with how well it does in fact work.

Great

<snip>
> Once I recovered, I reinstalled Suse skipping the automatic
> patch download step, and the install completed ok,
> and dualboot now works.
>
> Now M$ is that much closer to being a vestigial wart on my PC!

Yep, I've got 2 of my machines permanently on SuSE, I'm about to try Debian
on a third, and the new machine (AMD64) has swappable hard drives for
Windows XP and SuSE 64bit. Oh, and the main SuSE machine is running as a
Windows PDC ;-)

But until my customers all switch to Linux, I'll need to keep Windows as an
option... Or until Microsoft realise they've had a hefty kick up the
backside and respond with something worth keeping...

(I am not anti-Microsoft/Windows per se, but when better and more economical
tools are available...)

Dave

Relevant Pages

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Flash mob in Maryland on tape
    ... I still haven't got Windows 7 set up enough to ... something I thought was going to install MusicMatch ... Get a CD or USB flash with Linux Live on it! ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: eMachines OEM XP woes - time to buy $tandard?
    ... >>> under Windoze. ... Let's say one wants to install NVU. ... Now show how much easier it is to install MS Office on Linux than ... Windows OS's from Win3.1 to Windows 2003 Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: bad experience with Suse 9.1 on Inspiron 8200
    ... > it is an M$ bug, such technicalities are irrelevant to the end user. ... :-) Windows has ... work as long as they work, trying to install a nitrous ... Linux are at least a *little* bit curious about how their computer works ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)