Re: RH vs SUSE

From: root/administrator (administrator_at_dev.null.dnsalias.net)
Date: 07/12/04

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 04:40:23 GMT

If you type "make" @ any shell and you get a response saying something like
"Command not found.", chances are either you don't have make package
installed or your environment PATH does not include where make is
installed. On a SuSE-9.1 system, you can use rpm to check if make package
is installed, i.e rpm -q make. If rpm says make package is installed, you
can try to have the rpm list the make package, i.e. rpm -ql make, and
locate where make file is installed. Then, check your PATH environment to
see if it includes the path where make file is installed.

--
root/administrator

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RPM
    ... > I would like to know what RPM is? ... RPM originally stood for Red-Hat Package Management. ... *makefile* that uses the "make" command to compile, link, and then ... Typically you run "rpm -U such-and-such.rpm" to install something. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: RH vs SUSE
    ... >installed or your environment PATH does not include where make is ... you can use rpm to check if make package ... >> to?compile software I run configure and when I run make it gives command ... >> services manually or is there a similar command in SUSE? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Package installation mess
    ... > package installation mechanisms are quite a mess. ... > versions for suse. ... And just what is wrong with the command line or is that too scary for people ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: so long, and thanks for all the fish
    ... >> the files will be deposited where SuSE expects them to be. ... > It leads to another question though, are Linux applications not ... find a "package" of that software that corresponds to your distribution. ... "rpm" package that corresponds to whatever version of SuSE Linux you are ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Building Sendmail with STARTTLS option on SuSE
    ... I want to Build sendmail-8.13.8 on Suse 9.3 with TSL support. ... I dont want to use an rpm - package. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)