Re: Motif or GTK ?

From: ray (ray_at_zianet.com)
Date: 07/24/04

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:35:38 -0600

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:12:10 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

> Scrubbing Bubbles wrote:
>> <posted & mailed>
>>
>> Mark Marsella wrote:

>>>They are both graphical toolkits, widgets etc. GTK is the Gnome toolkit
>>>and Motif is another older toolkit afair.
>>

>> So, sounds like I should use GTK
>
> If you're running the default SuSE KDE desktop,
> then you'll have to make sure that you've installed GNOME
> (via YaST) from the SuSE CD's. You may also need to
> install the GNOME/GTK Development libs - depends on what
> Eclipse requires (the Eclipse Web site should have that info).
>
> Regards,
> Larry

It's also true that SuSE used to (and I assume still does) supply Motif in
it's distributions - only major linux distro I know of that does/did. You
maight also be aware that although Motif is freely distributable, it is
not open source. There is, in development, an open source alternative
called lesstif. I would recommend GTK. Later you may want to try Motif.
I've been an X/Motif programmer under Unix and Linux for about 15 years. I
usually install Motif on most linux distros I run, because I have some
really good libraries that have evolved over the years based on Motif. For
most recent software development on my personal systems (as opposed to
work) I have used GTK instead.

Relevant Pages

  • [SLE] Xm.h not found
    ... I asked why SuSE makes compiling simple C-code like xhell.c ... using Motif so difficult. ... But why does YaST2 not install these? ... There should be some config or env setting to ease compiling ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Gaim 0.75 configure and SuSE 8.2
    ... Did you actually install GTK from gtk.org? ... Had some hiccups to successfully getting (on SuSE 8.1) GTK installed, but managed to pull it off. ... Check the headers for your unsubscription address For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@suse.com Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@suse.com ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Angband 3.0.8 prerelease 2
    ... Are you using the GTK port? ... I just did ./configure and then make on SUSE 10 linux. ... Make install failed due to permissions for /usr/local, ... I don't know the GTK code well enough to fix it, ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: [SLE] Unreal Tournament 2003 errors installing
    ... > I wish to install UT2003, It ships with a linux install script. ... QtPixmap theme engine is still compiled for gtk 2.2. ... Assuming we're talking about suse 9.1, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Upgrading Gimp Problems
    ... Using SuSe 8.1. ... *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found ... See the file 'INSTALL' for help. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)