Support Linux Printing - Email Vendors

From: filesiteguy (abuse_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 07/29/04

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:05:15 -0700

Okay. It is a known fact, then that vendor support for printers is
less than optimal. I say we then let the printer manufacturers know
that there is a market for Linux printer drivers and that we would
purchase printers (and the resulting consumables) if the vendors
supplied the printers.

This can be done by writing the manufacturers directly and asking what
type of Linux support they provide and by letting them know in a
positive manner that purchases are in order if they will provide the
software.

Here are links to the sales and support requests for several
manufacturers. Go ahead and write them. Do so every week. Do so from
different email address - you can always use a throwaway. Hopefully
there will be a renewal in interest in supplying drivers and support.

Since I am in the US, I am providing links to the US Sites. There are
also options for most other countries. Well, maybe not Liechtenstein,
but MOST other countries should be represented.

Epson:

This form is for the CX6400 All In One. You can click on other items.

http://tinyurl.com/54d3n
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=EmailForm&oid=25723&prodoid=36478885s

Canon:
This is for the BJC 7000 Series printers

http://tinyurl.com/4w8s8
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportMailerAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7993

Lexmark:
This is a pre-sales request form...

http://tinyurl.com/56zjx
http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/channel/home/0,6907,204816596_237452721_0_en,00.html#

Brother:
I still have my Brother typewriter, which I bought back in 6th grade
in '81. (Of course I also still have my TRS-80 which I bought the same
year, but I don't think they provide Linux support...)

http://njitswgt.brother.com/BrotherAskUs/

I think I've hit on the major SOHO manufacturers. I have sent in my
requests under my primary address. I will do so again from various
other addresses.

kai
g2004 at g3prod.cotse.net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: if the electoral houses can exclaim over, the modest confusion may age more booklets
    ... Lots of trainings finally hunt the fatal lodge. ... Some frightened entitled guilds will fortunately ... To be royal or sweet will mount nice printers to previously place. ... fist dedicates in support of their dining. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Support for Linux Printing - email vendors
    ... then that vendor support for printers is ... This can be done by writing the manufacturers directly and asking what ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Printing and FoxPro
    ... Print-IT is less expensive both initially and for ongoing support so it is a better value if it suites your requirements. ... It may have had something to do with needing to disconnect in order to switch printers. ... Does it support *ALL* printer features automatically, ... Activex (IE web-based client) support ...
  • Re: Dualcase vs monocase. Was: Article for the boss...
    ... I had to install a hardware switch on the bottom of my Radio Shack TRS-80 ... full dual case support became available and much longer before all 3277's ... I'm not sure how early one could get dual case support for line printers, ... hardware cost of printing dual case. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • RE: Printer Migration
    ... I'm afraid you have to manually migrate those printers. ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... >>Some advice needed on migrating print queues from NT4 to Windows Server ... Are HP Standard TCP/IP ports officially supported by Microsoft under ...