Re: installed etheral - still cannot ping Linux machine from Win XP and vice versa

From: Walter Schiessberg (nospam.news_at_arcor.de)
Date: 08/01/04

Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 11:05:45 +0200

Zefram Cochrane wrote on 31.07.2004 07:49:

> I have checked the firewall on the SUSE box and there is no firewall
> policy. I have also checked the XP box and there is no firewall policy
> on my LAN connection.

a) Change ports on the hub, when of no effect, connect the machines
directly with a crossover cable.

b) Have you checked the routing on the machines (netstat -rn)?

c) What does traceroute/tracert say?

It could be useful to post the output of ifconfig -all (Linux)/ipconfig
-all (Windows), netstat and traceroute/tracert.

--
Walter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [fw-wiz] httport 3snf
    ... > Having worked in the Firewall support role at several companies, ... I had my CIO approve my security policy. ... time educating him about Internet risk. ... There's also a very good "at what point is the firewall now useless" ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • RE: Sandboxing
    ... the 3Com Embedded Firewall would be extremely useful and enabling (in ... your case) when you look at it in a VPN context. ... This security policy will accomplish quite a few things: ... During the Policy Server installation, ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Questions About Windows Firewall and Domain Policy Enforcement
    ... Can you please provide me with more detail with what you mean by connecting ... configure the firewall, namely group policy, net shell scripts, manual ... You can do this through group policy or a login script. ... > as there is no Standard Profile configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Questions About Windows Firewall and Domain Policy Enforcement
    ... Can you please provide me with more detail with what you mean by connecting ... configure the firewall, namely group policy, net shell scripts, manual ... You can do this through group policy or a login script. ... > as there is no Standard Profile configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • RE: Ensuring Disabling/Uninstalation of Windows XP Firewall in LA N enviro.
    ... Since the Group Policy editor is really just a fancy GUI for making registry ... Ensuring Disabling/Uninstalation of Windows XP Firewall in LAN ... Since this is not an AD environment as yet, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)