help! - not booting up (9.1 prof)

From: AC (aec$news_at_candt.demon.co.uk)
Date: 08/14/04

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:52:28 +0100

After (apparently unwisely) aborting an online update halfway through,
doing an apparently successful CD automatic repair with boot loader
repair. then, doing a full (uninterrupted) online update, I turned the
apparently working PC off and went to bed....

Unfortunately, I find it will not boot up now.

I have done (another) automatic repair from the dvd, including repaiar
of boot loader, and still it is not booting.

I see displayed at the top of an otherwise black screen:

kernel(hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x31a desktop
resume=/dev/hda2 splash=silent

Any ideas please
1) how I should now best proceed?
2) possible reasons why I have got into this situation?

tia

--
AlanC