Graphical Yast2 Stops Working

From: Howard J. Rogers (hjr_at_dizwell.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:12:12 +1000

Suse 9.1. Fresh install. When I purchased Suse, the vendor also sold me a CD
containing patches and errata. If I do an Online Update, specify this CD,
and let it install everything it recommends, it all goes beautifully...
except for complaining about not being able to install the patches for
Gnokii (whatever that is) and Yast Package Manager.

I skip both of those.

The rest of the patches proceeds smoothly, and everything links fine. When
the entire thing is finished, however, Yast itself stops working properly.
It still loads. And large parts of it are still functional. But if I click
on the online update option again, it correctly prompts me for the root
password, displays the message 'Yast2 is starting up'... and then displays
a blank panel, not the one where you select your source etc etc.

So further online updates are impossible (actually, I can use the CLI
version). But I am just wondering if this is a known issue (I've searched
Google, but to no effect), or if there's anything I can do to fix the
problem up.

Obviously the patch CD is deficient in key respects. But if I can apply it,
and then fix up its breaking of Yast2, that will still save me an awful lot
of downloading. So: has anyone seen a blank screen in parts of Yast2 where
there shouldn't be, and is there a fix I can try?

Regards
HJR

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [SLE] 10.1 Online Update showing patches I dont need?
    ... 10.1 Online Update showing patches I don't need? ... I have done a clean install of 10.1 and did the update during the ... I've had a look at the help option on the updater but can't see any ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Graphical Yast2 Stops Working
    ... > this CD, and let it install everything it recommends, it all goes ... > the patches for Gnokii and Yast Package Manager. ... > But if I click on the online update option again, ... > So further online updates are impossible (actually, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Using Yast to recompile php with pspell?
    ... Instead of `make install` install checkinstall and run `checkinstall` ... YOU¹ will not do any updates, so if there are patches ... ¹Yast Online Update, not you personaly. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro and SUSE 9.1 Professional
    ... > run the online update to get the latest patches to it, ... and to match, compile the kernel first. ... I always install the ATI version and it takes a few minutes to do so. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Patch cluster 10_x86_Recommended fails at 119255-77 (thir one on list)
    ... The patch set will complete installation in this session. ... Application of patches finished: 2010.11.28 17:54:45 ... Aborting due to failure while applying patch 119255-77. ... Install log files written: ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)