Re: Recommend a newbie SUSE group?

From: John Corliss (
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:39:30 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> Or can I get some basic questions answered here? For instance, when
>> is the next version of SUSE coming out? I looked and looked all over
>> their site, but could find nothing but got a vague feeling that it
>> might be October.
>> I had downloaded the ISOs for Debian, but then decided that they're
>> too weird about what they consider to be "free" software. Their
>> package listings at their site indicates that they don't even include
>> OpenOffice in their distro.
>> After spending a great deal of time reading evaluations of the
>> various more popular distros, SUSE stood out as the best choice.
>> I'd like to install SUSE on my system and run it concurrently with
>> Windows ME for the time being, but if the current version is about to
>> be replaced, I want to wait for it. Thus my question.
> Just my personal feeling, but having just purchased 9.1, and been extremely
> happy with it, I wouldn't wait. In this business, there is always nicer jam
> coming just the day after tomorrow... and you'd starve to death, jamless,
> if you kept waiting for "the" perfect jam to turn up!
> Once you have any version of Suse, you can keep upgrading its components as
> they become available, from the kernel itself, all the way down to
> something like OpenOffice. It will be the bundling into a coherent package
> that makes Suse 9.2 or 10 or whatever they decide to call it. But you can
> have the same set of packages yourself at any time.
> There is thus no real reason to delay the purchase.

   Thanks for replying and pointing out that I can update any time I
like. That does make a big difference.
   Kind of along that line, do you know if the free download includes
all the same drivers that the purchased version does? I've heard that
it doesn't.

Regards from John Corliss
No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,
nagware, shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses
or warez please.

Relevant Pages