Re: NFS and NIS on the same server?

From: Howard J. Rogers (hjr_at_dizwell.com)
Date: 08/25/04

Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:34:13 +1000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> A freshly-installed Suse 9.1 server, straight off the CD (hence no
> updating done as yet).
>
> NFS is working fine between it and my laptop (also with Suse 9.1 on it).
>
> I tried configuring NIS using the Server tool provided in the Control
> Centre. I didn't change much from the defaults offered: I merely supplied
> a domain name, permitted the changing of passwords, and clicked through to
> 'Finish'. It thinks about things for a moment or three and then reports
> "Error during configuration: Error while creating database.". If I click
> the 'Details' button for this error, I get told:
>
> 'Failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registered'
>
> I Googled for that phrase, and got a number of hits regarding NFS, but
> nothing obvious concerning NIS. And my NFS is working just fine.
>
> Can NFS and NIS co-exist on the one server?
>
> Or do I need to configure something else before NIS will work?
>
> Regards
> HJR

Just a bit of a follow-up, by way of thanks to all who troubled to reply.
NIS doesn't work 'out of the 9.1 box'. But it works perfectly once all yp*
packages have been updated via YOU.

That, at least, is my experience, for what it's worth.

Regards
HJR

Relevant Pages

  • How to mount Home directories using NIS NFS and automount
    ... Can any one help me on mounting home directoreis of users using NIS ... NFS and automount features. ... Regards ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • How to mount Home directories using NIS NFS and automount
    ... Can any one help me on mounting home directoreis of users using NIS ... NFS and automount features. ... Regards ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: NIS and non-NIS question
    ... > I have a box I want to rework to allow it to operate outside a NIS ... > enviroment when outside my LAN and use NIS and NFS when it is not. ... On the other hand, if you are running NFS, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: incomplete passwd file
    ... One of our servers (RHAS 4, NIS ... We booted from CD copying a backup over the passwd file. ... The server lost ... connection to NIS and NFS before this problem appeared (NIS and NFS ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Permission problems with NIS, NFS or Automount
    ... rogue /etc/passwd entries on the NFS box causing problems for you. ... netgroup steps below to reinstate the users via NIS. ... re-created a NIS domain and automounting of users home directories when they ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)