[SuSE 9.1] LVM and network

From: ElVirolo (cyberalex_at_tiscali.fr)
Date: 08/27/04

Date: 27 Aug 2004 01:40:20 -0700

Hi all!

I've just installed SuSE 9.1 Personal Edition, making sure during the
installation process that my /dev/hda4 partition (my /home) was left
unchanged. I double checked when the installation summary turned up.
However, when I tried mounting the partition after the system was
installed (with mkdir /mnt/hda4 and then mount /dev/hda4 -t ext3
/mnt/hda4 ; I also tried without the -t option), it turned up with
this error : "fs type incorrect, incorrect option, superbloc incorrect
on /dev/hda4 or two many filesystems mounted" (this probably isn't the
exact error, since it's a translation from French).

So I launched YaST, and I discovered that it had transformed my ext3
partition into a blank LVM drive (whatever it is, a logical drive ?
anyway it was blank!) ... What can I do to recover my data ?

I've also got another problem :

I connect to the Internet with an ADSL connection via a Comtrend
CT-600 router, connecter to my Ethernet card. The router doesn't have
a DHCP server for its Ethernet port, so I have to configure my network
card with a static IP (IP address: 192.168.1.5 ; Mask : 255.255.255.0
; gateway: 192.168.1.1 and DNS : 192.168.1.1). This configuration
works absolutely fine on Windows XP, and used to work fine with
Mandrake 10.0. However, on SuSE, I can use the Internet for a few
minutes, then it stops. I can't access a web site (no error is shown,
Konqueror just doesn't do anything when I type in an address), and I
can't ping anything (except the router). I then reboot the router, and
it works for another five minutes or so (often less). It is quite
strange, because I don't know what it has to do with the router, which
should be independent. Moreover, everthing works fine under Windows
XP without changing anything !

Can anyone please help me ?

Many many thanks in advance,

Alex.

Relevant Pages

  • FW: FW: [SLE] Urgent! Need help!
    ... >>router and that took care of the problem. ... re-boot and it just hangs with the word GRUB sitting there. ... removed that Windows partition, and moved everything to the top. ... a clean boot out off of the installation CD, I'd be able to then re-write ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Moving Windows Partition w/linux
    ... > I installed SuSE again on it's partition. ... > Is it possible to move the entire Windows installation from the 15G ... I'd rather not re-install Win98 onto it's partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Some trouble with Warp 4 Server...
    ... The first problem is the one with installation or to be more exact, ... I'd like to have a single HPFS partition in full size of ... Yes, oh, router, the one that should (and is, as far as ... Linux/BSD/Window$ are concerned) provide Internet access. ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: Some trouble with Warp 4 Server...
    ... Naturally, i chose "Expert" installation, and got a fdisk ... since it reports fdisk error after restart). ... Options such as making partition installable, ... Yes, oh, router, the one that should (and is, as far as ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: GRUB Loader Corrupt
    ... > I've just installed Suse 8.2 Professional on a machine and then ran ... > did Partition Magic on Windows. ... then boot from the installation CD or DVD. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)