Re: KDE 3.3 and Open Office - How could Suse not have tested this!

From: Rainer Frey (rainerfrey_at_web.de)
Date: 08/30/04

Date: 30 Aug 2004 23:37:21 +0200

Paul J Gans <gans@panix.com> writes:

> Agreed. But let's be nice to newbies. Many folks just buy
> the SuSE box and don't understand the different levels of
> support for various packages.
>
> We were all newbies once. Sometimes I think I still am.

Well, true. But a newbie will get a working, polished KDE installation
out of the SuSE box, including security and aug fixing updates. If
someone changes his system configuration to install large software
packages from experimental sources, he either ain't no newbie, or he
should be prepared for ruining his installation (which means in the
worst case reinstall from the box). I didn't mean to be rude though to
the OP. BTW, I use those KDE packages myself, though I haven't used
OpenOffice since the upgrade.

> ----- Paul J. Gans

Rainer

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] < RANT > *5
    ... On Wednesday 18 February 2004 11:43, Trey Gruel wrote: ... > i'm glad that suse puts /opt to good use keeping major components like kde ... file installation path AND b: lack the simple capacity to deal with stuff ... Another third or so of the NEWBIE ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Entering activation code after new install
    ... activation code for SUSE 10.1 Professional. ... DID register later...but have not discovered the update links. ... This registration is only for the commercial version of the OS but, again, in their wisdom, SuSE stuck this regiistration thing in the installation process which is catching all of us non-commercial users, or newbies as most of us here are. ... Now, if you have already gone thru the installation process and are in the situation which you now find yourselves, as I understand it what you need to do is to do Control Centre/Software/Online Update and find the two packages I just mentioned and only update these 2 - and only these 2 - packages. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] System Update to 9.2 with FTP?
    ... The FTP version of SuSE 9.2 seems to be out. ... If I left the old installation sources I ... packages, only KCheckMail...). ... No conflicts. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: chk drive for errors?
    ... SuSE 6.1 was the first I tried. ... Debian and a version of Mandrake, although I don't know which one. ... installation I wasn't keen upon. ... packages that Mandrake claimed were bad. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [SLE] yast 2 adding urls
    ... I'm still getting big problems with yast2 setting installation sources, ... Also on the online update I ticked all the packages and left it running ... That's the reason for the move to Suse, ...
    (SuSE)