Fresh Install -- syslog failed? & X resolution

From: DjD (d54729_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/02/04

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:04:23 -0500

Hopefully, a quick question. I've just installed Suse 9.0.

When I boot, I have the screen of all the stuff starting -- syslog says
"failed" in nice red letters. I'm not sure where to begin looking to find
out why it failed.

2nd question -- I'm using a Gigabyte mb, with the on board graphic. Sax2
doesn't like this, and I can't seem to get 1024x768 (I've got 1280 x 1024
at 77hz). I looked at XF86Config, but the only mode in there in 800x600,
and I'm not running that!

I've tweaked XF86Config in Red Hat and Slack -- but, as I mentioned, the
XF86Config file here only has the 800x600 line.

Amy suggestions?

Any recommendations on middle of the road AGP video cards that are supported
by X windows and Suse?

Thanks!