Re: Using Suse as a server

From: Rex Ballard (r.e.ballard_at_usa.net)
Date: 09/11/04

Date: 10 Sep 2004 16:12:24 -0700

Travel Mug <enjoy@a.grande> wrote in message news:<2qe77fFttt91U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> I heard a lot about using RedHat as a server and Suse as a desktop, but can
> you tell me: how many of you use Suse as a production server for uses such
> as file servers, database, sendmail, web and other heavy duty internal and
> external uses?

The main advantage of SuSE as a desktop is that it has lots of tools,
bells, and whistles that are very much in demand for Desktop users.
It uses KDE as it's default interface, it includes a nice big boatload
of applications ranging from the trivial to commercial and government
grade. You can configure almost everything using the YAST2 GUI
configuration tools, and you you can do almost all of the most popular
functions and duties without ever even looking at the command line
interface. Of course this configuration does consume resources, so
the desktop edition isn't your ideal server.

SuSE does also make a very good server, it's used by a number of banks
and is very popular in Europe, especially in Germany where the SuSE
organization originated.

Red Hat has traditionally focused on the server market, and it's
workstation is mostly focused on being a good system administrator's
workstation. It's a very good system. It uses the GNOME desktop and
includes fewer of the popular applications in it's automatically
installed installation. The result is a very efficient, but sparse,
interface. It's great for solving problems on remote Linux systems
very quickly, and getting them fixed very quickly.

Red Hat has been very popular in the United States, which is where it
originated, and was one of the earliest commercial "end user oriented"
systems produced in the United States (acknoledgement to Slackware
which was first).

Caldera - now SCO - had a really great version of Linux which had
become very popular in franchise operations like McDonalds, Burger
King, Pizza Hut, and many other places. It got so popular they had to
buy the SCO service organization from SCO just to keep up with the
demand. That was before they hired a Lunatic as CEO and let him start
try to bully companies 200 times his size. Hopefully Caldera - now
SCO will be back in the fold real soon now, we really miss some of
their terrific support. Ray Noorda, slap those people silly would
you?

Many countries have their own "national" brand of Linux, optimized for
their language and their culture. Many corporations also have "custom
installs", usually based on Red Hat or SuSE which can be installed as
an "image" or standard installation. These usually have WINE
applications preconfigured and preinstalled (or script installed) to
make sure that employees have access to certain important
applications. IBM, for example, has a Linux install which is based on
Red Hat and is configured to run Lotus Notes, the VPN software, the
time reporting utility, and a workstation inventory program that makes
sure that things are properly locked down.