Any Ximian Users Out There?

From: filesiteguy (abuse_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:02:11 -0700

Having discussed to death today at work the Ximian purchase by Novell,
I realized I hadn't actually looked at anything beyond Evolution. I
took a look at the Novell site and browsed their screenshots pages...

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/tour.html

...I wondered a few things. I am a devout KDE user. I see that Ximian
is based on Gnome. Since SuSE is going to be using a modified Ximian
desktop as the next Window Manager by default in the next version
(http://www.vnunet.com/analysis/1158206) I see that KDE is going to be
deprecated to a second-fiddle role.

How do you out there suppose this affects the use of YaST or other
tools now integrated into SuSE? Will it be a kludge or will it be
better?

Are any of you using Ximian already in your SuSE or other Linux
implementations?

I wonder if this will be better / the same / worse for new Linux
users. I expect to purchase a new system for my mother as a Christmas
present and I'll be moving her off of WinME to SuSE. Should I stick
with KDE or Ximian?

Okay, time for bed...

--
kai
www.gamephreakz.com - The Mobile Gaming Site

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Want to learn more about 10.1 pro and cons?
    ... Novell might have time to release Suse Linux Enterprise 10 before everything is fixed. ... Suse co-founder Hubert Mantel left Novell in November following a corporate restructuring that claimed hundreds of jobs, many of them in Suse's Nuremberg headquarters. ... Two Novell executives heavily involved in Linux strategy also left the company in recent months -- vice chairman Chris Stone in November 2004 and Alan Nugent in March 2005. ... The most prominent executives remaining at Novell from the acquisitions of Suse and Ximian are Nat Friedman, vice president of Linux desktop engineering, and Miguel de Icaza, vice president for developer technologies -- both of whom came to Novell via Ximian. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Mantel leaves Novell/Suse
    ... I suspect that when Novell purchased Ximian and later SuSE, ... Novell is going to have the KDE libraries included on their future ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] ...and speaking of SuSE / Novell...
    ... > list, that he could no longer work for the company, which acquired Suse ... > A Novell spokeswoman confirmed Mantel’s resignation but gave no further ... “We can confirm that Hubert Mantel has tendered his resignation ... Well, how many kernel developers are at Ximian, besides Robert Love? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] ...and speaking of SuSE / Novell...
    ... >> list, that he could no longer work for the company, which acquired Suse ... >> A Novell spokeswoman confirmed Mantel˙s resignation but gave no further ... > You forgot to cite an interesting citation from Mantel: ... > Well, how many kernel developers are at Ximian, besides Robert Love? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Dashborad per Linux...

    (it.comp.macintosh)