Any Ximian Users Out There?

From: filesiteguy (abuse_at_127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/21/04

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:02:11 -0700

Having discussed to death today at work the Ximian purchase by Novell,
I realized I hadn't actually looked at anything beyond Evolution. I
took a look at the Novell site and browsed their screenshots pages...

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/tour.html

...I wondered a few things. I am a devout KDE user. I see that Ximian
is based on Gnome. Since SuSE is going to be using a modified Ximian
desktop as the next Window Manager by default in the next version
(http://www.vnunet.com/analysis/1158206) I see that KDE is going to be
deprecated to a second-fiddle role.

How do you out there suppose this affects the use of YaST or other
tools now integrated into SuSE? Will it be a kludge or will it be
better?

Are any of you using Ximian already in your SuSE or other Linux
implementations?

I wonder if this will be better / the same / worse for new Linux
users. I expect to purchase a new system for my mother as a Christmas
present and I'll be moving her off of WinME to SuSE. Should I stick
with KDE or Ximian?

Okay, time for bed...

--
kai