Re: Ripping LPs

From: AC (aec$news_at_candt.demon.co.uk)
Date: 09/24/04

Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:32:24 +0100

In article <cj1ojv$sk$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca>, Bill Unruh
<unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca> writes
>But I have no idea why you would need to put resistors across your output,
>unless your amplifier has some weird features like shutting down if there
>is no output current draw.

fwiw
I concluded that neither the amplifier output nor the line in at the pc
end had a suitable impedance to suit the recording control in the pc,
and I got gross saturation with badly distorted results. I don't have
any measuring equipment now anyway, and began my fixit activities with a
simple resistive divider, basing things on the assumed impedance of a
twisted wire pair. After a time (too long) the penny dropped that it was
the output loading that was giving the benefits, not the divide,
subsequently verified by a controllable record level. I found it a bit
hard to believe at first, but I did not do any actual measurements, or
further research.

--
AlanC