Absolute Newb question

From: seannmc (seann_at_no-spam-fake-email.com)
Date: 09/28/04

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:01:48 -0500

I just DL'd Suse Personal ISO trial, and am trying to install it on a ME
machine that is more or less FUBAR (obscure German term, according to Tom
Hank's character on "Saving Private Ryan").

I'm finding that the machine doesn't recognize an ISO file as being a
bootable operating system.

I have viewed Suse's start page,
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/README.FTP , which gives the not so
helpful instruction of "boot off CD":

Preparation

  o booting from CD

    Download the iso image boot/boot.iso and burn a CD with it.

Installation

  Boot from CD/floppy and at the bootpromt enter the installation source:

  Alternatively, choose 'manual installation' and configure the network in
  the installation program.

Preparing your own installation server

  Just copy the whole installation tree to your local disk and make it
  available via network.

When I try to view the ISO from WinME itself, it thinks it's a music CD and
asks what music files I wish to add to it.

Suggestions?

Please respond here, and in private to seann@!LakeSuperiorInsurance.com
(minus the !).

--