Absolute Newb question

From: seannmc (seann_at_no-spam-fake-email.com)
Date: 09/28/04

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:01:48 -0500

I just DL'd Suse Personal ISO trial, and am trying to install it on a ME
machine that is more or less FUBAR (obscure German term, according to Tom
Hank's character on "Saving Private Ryan").

I'm finding that the machine doesn't recognize an ISO file as being a
bootable operating system.

I have viewed Suse's start page,
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/README.FTP , which gives the not so
helpful instruction of "boot off CD":

Preparation

  o booting from CD

    Download the iso image boot/boot.iso and burn a CD with it.

Installation

  Boot from CD/floppy and at the bootpromt enter the installation source:

  Alternatively, choose 'manual installation' and configure the network in
  the installation program.

Preparing your own installation server

  Just copy the whole installation tree to your local disk and make it
  available via network.

When I try to view the ISO from WinME itself, it thinks it's a music CD and
asks what music files I wish to add to it.

Suggestions?

Please respond here, and in private to seann@!LakeSuperiorInsurance.com
(minus the !).

--
_____
seannmc

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Re:how to make an iso file with all the update , or integrate the into
    ... but there seems that nobody is adding the new updates to a new iso ... What you linked to was the download for Windows Xp Service Pack 3 ... It dod not include *all* the updates, ... your Windows Installation media. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Licenses for 10.2?
    ... md5sum to produce a checksum for both the burnt image and the ISO. ... 'firstboot' option in YaST setup that completes the installation. ... much machines as you bandwith can handle. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Sata drives with nforce3 chip set on Motherboard
    ... >> The dvd iso has an unusable version of kernel and drivers. ... > computer with a Fedora Core 3 installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Why there isnt an ISO: a very bad state of mind
    ... This is the kind of silly problem that drives newbies crazy. ... "Installation", ... > making an iso on openbsd iso is pretty simple compared ... filtering, when you teach installation, you give the basics for a ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • etch installation probs (CD?)
    ... recognises the CD and starts the installation but fails at the screen ... Has anybody else successfully uses this CDROM drive to install Debian, ... ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3 ... enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA ...
    (Debian-User)