Re: Linux and WLAN Internet access

From: Alfred Molon (alfred_molon_at_yahoo.comDELETE)
Date: 10/10/04

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:55:06 +0200

In article <41685198$1@news.broadpark.no>, oddbjornNOSPAMhansen@yahoo.no
says...

> Take a look at the following sites to get some ideas to get your laptop play:
>
> tuxmobil.org
> www.linux-on-laptops.com
>
> At tuxmobil.org there is a link to a person who have got WLAN working on a
> Thinkpad X31 under SuSE 9.0:
>
> http://www.penguintowne.org/howto/X31/

Thanks I tried that, but wasn't able to get the Wifi to work.
Specifically, there is no step-by-step description of how to set up
Wifi, something which would enable a non-skilled user to make Wifi work.
But why does Suse 9.1 have no pre-installed software which automatically
scans for WLAN networks (and you just have to enter the WEP key) ?

Anyway, I connected to the WLAN router with a network cable and finally
had Internet access. It turned out that neither Konqueror nor Mozilla
1.73 properly support CSS - which is really weird, since we are in 2004
and Mozilla for Windows properly supports CSS. Konqueror doesn't support
Javascript (!?) and Mozilla requires you to download a Java plugin.

By the way, the Gimp has no live preview - unlike PS you only see the
effect of the changes "after the fact".

It took me a while to figure out how to install Mozilla 1.73. You can't
just double click on the installer, as you do in Windows. You have to
open a terminal window, login as superuser with the SU command, create a
directory usr/local/mozilla and set the permissions of this directory to
777 otherwise the installer won't be able to write to this directory. A
pretty cumbersome procedure.

Once the installation was completed, there was neither an icon on the
desktop, nor one in the start menu (!). To start Mozilla I had to open
the file explorer, navigate to the directory usr/local/mozilla, find the
executable. Then I had to open a terminal window, navigate to the
usr/local/mozilla directory and enter the command ./mozilla (if you just
enter "mozilla" it will say it couldn't find the file, even if the file
is in the current directory (??).

This is cumbersome, but is a very substantial improvement since 1998,
when to install new software you had to search the web for all
libraries, check the dependencies, sometimes even compile some modules
etc. Now at least you can download the new software all in one place and
there is an installer.

To summarise it I'd say that although Linux had made a huge progress
since 1998 (for instance the installation process now is automatic),
it's user interface is still not user-friendly enough to make it
attractive for the broad mass of people. I'll check Linux again in
2008...

--
Alfred Molon

  • Re: Mozilla 1.7/Firefox 0.9/Thunderbird 0.7
    ... shell script "mozilla" in /usr/bin to point to the new directorys and ... Attached is a copy of /usr/bin/mozilla shell script. ... >I have temporarily used the installer to install to my home directory. ... # except in compliance with the License. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: What the ... Firefox
    ... Separate Program Files folder. ... And it wouldn't surprise me if Mozilla considers Pale ... did in the case of some sort of online installer, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What the ... Firefox
    ... Offered "Driver Support" and since Mozilla, ... Driver Support says almost every driver on my laptop is out of date. ... Went back to another Mozilla download site and it says I have the latest FireFox installed. ... Even if they deliver a stub installer to you, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How to get a list of fixed-width fonts?
    ... Then when I launched X11, ... fontforge did not appear in the X11 menu ... If you executed the 'fontforge' command in a terminal window, ... window presented by the installer and pressed return. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Help please: flash player not working with new install
    ... .mozilla directory from my backup into my home directory. ... as a user download the installer and save it to your desktop. ... The installer prgram placed the two files for the flash ... plugin is there, but no flash plugin. ...
    (alt.os.linux)