Re: After a full day of computers...

From: David Wright (david_c_wright_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/16/04

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:41:28 +0200

JPB wrote:

> I'm getting too tired to think, so please help me fix my last two issues
> - likely simple ones for the old hands here. To start with, both the
> computers in question run SuSE 9.1 Pro and nothing but.
>
> Firstly, I got my wireless cards to work; finally. Now all is well -
> except when I input the WEP passphrase in Yast and activate same in the
> router, both computers get cut off; permanently. I then have to go back
> to an ethernet connection (ifup eth0), so as to be able to access the
> router and get rid of encryption again. Then, bingo, it all works again.
> So where's the catch?
>
> All I've done is set the WEP passphrase (tried both 64 & 128-bit
> incryption with same unsatisfactory result) in the router. Then I go to
> YAST and input the same in the "Passphrase" field in "Wireless
> Settings". I only need one key and the authentication mode is "open". --
> Please advise...

Can't really help, didn't have much luck with Wireless, it was too slow and
unreliable under Windows, so I went back to cabled before I got into
Linux... After entering the passphrase, have you tried restarting the
wireless interface (or rebooting)? It could be that somewhere in the
configuration, although the passphrase has been entered, it is not being
initialised properly - if turning WEP off again on the router restores the
connection, then it suggests that WEP is not being turned on in Linux...

> The other issue is LAN file sharing. I've had no trouble getting the
> printer to work (connected to one machine & the other accessing it
> through the CUPS server). Easy, that one.
>
> I've set up a NFS server and a client on each machine, with the
> wildcards set to the name of the other computer. Allocated directories
> to share (/home) and went with defaults in "options"
> (ro,root_squash,sync). The machines can see each other, as well as the
> shared directories, with no problem. However, the exported directories
> cannot be mounted - if I try to do that in Konqueror, I get just an
> empty directory. There is a message on boot stating that "permission was
> denied" by the server to mount the directories. -- So no doubt I've
> stuffed up the necessary permissions somewhere. Please point me towards
> the right solution - I'm sure it must be something despicably basic! :-)

You need to have the same users with the same user ID's (that's the number,
not the name) on both machines. If it is fairly static, you can do this
manually, but there are automated way of doing that, NIS, NIS+, LDAP etc.

For a small home network, that probably isn't necessary.

It is probably better to share the directories from one machine with
another. Having reciprocal shares between two machines can cause problems
during boot-up - delays at the minimum on the first machine booted, while
it times out looking for the second...

Personally, I would designate one machine as the server, the machine that is
usually booted first, and set the shared space on that machine (this isn't
necessary, but makes life and administration a lot easier).

You need to check the users have the same usernames and ID's on both
machines. If the ID's don't match, they won't be able to access "their"
shares on the other machine.

I'm guessing you have done some or all of the following, but just to recap:

1. You need to create a mountpoint on the client machine. This is an empty
directory, to which the share from the serving machine will be overlayed.
For example, create a directory called /netdata. The netdata directory
needs to have permissions set to allow the other users to see it. Either
chmod it to 777 access to let everybody into it, or change the owner and
group as appropriate. (man chmod, man chown for a description of changing
access and owner respectively)

2. On the server, create the NFS share you want to export. You need to set
the options here as well for read, write and root_squash as appropriate.
YaST is probably the simplest method for setting them up (YaST-Network
Services->NFS Server).

3. Once the shares have been created, they need to be mapped onto the mount
point on your client machine(s). Again, using YaST is probably the simplest
method (YaST->Network Services->NFS Client) and specify the shares want to
import and specify where you want to mount the to (in our
example /netdata). You can specify the options for the client as well, they
can give different access options, but can, I believe, only be more
restrictive than those on the server.

If everything has gone according to plan, you should now be able to see the
server diretories mapped under /netdata on the client machine.

The options you gave in your original post should allow read-only access to
the share to all users. Root_squash means that root doesn't get root
privileges to the NFS mount, but its privileges get set to those of the
anonuid and anonguid options.

I hope that helps a bit. If you have tried the above and it is still not
working, please post some more information.

NOTE: You can't/shouldn't export the same directories to the same
mountpoints on both machines. E.g. you can't export /home on both machines
and mount them as /home, that would cause errors, at the very least!

Dave

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac.
    ... Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac. ... I've got an nfs server that's refusing to mount one client - via one ... That elimintes NFS on the client, and -most- of the NFS config on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline
    ... and silently mounting the NFS when the ... server comes available? ... computers that may or may not be on. ... setting the fstab line to noauto and then mount manually after booting ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Users cant find SBS server- Help needed
    ... all appears to be working except that no computers show up ... under the domin name in windows network and the client computers don't see ... the server in their windows network. ... The server still does not show up in Network places nor does any other ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Can not join new domain with same name as old
    ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... How did you reload your SBS server? ... Did you disjoin the client from the domain before reloading your server? ... Expand Doman.local, my business, Computers, SBSCopmuters. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: recent nfs change causes autofs regression
    ... If the user asks for a new mount that is read-write, ... get it - ie we should not re-use the old client handles, ... everything needs to have the same flags), THOSE PEOPLE, who want the NEW ... or deleted on the server are now extended to also include the ...
    (Linux-Kernel)