Re: YOU, YaST and the KDE Upgrade

From: Sven Burmeister (sven.burmeister_at_rwth-aachen.de)
Date: 10/18/04

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:04:03 +0200

Hi!

Daibidh wrote:
> I am wanting to upgrade to KDE3.3.1. The Suse FAQ have been quite helpful
> instructing how to use YaST for the update. When I run the update, I get
> generated conflicts list. I have YOU automatic updates. I am up to date
> that way so I am a little confused why I don't have the required items or
> why the conflict resolution options don't just include an option to
> install/update the requested items.

What FAQ did you use?

I guess you are using Suse 9.1.

Have a look at Yast -> Installation Source whether is includes at least two
entries, one saying KDE 3.3 update and the other Suse Lnux 9.1, both have
to be activated and the update has to be above the suse 9.1 entry.
Further you have to make sure that the 3.3 update entry leads to the 9.1
update directory and not 9.0. You could refresh the installation source by
clicking on edit -> refresh, or somthing similar.

Maybe you have a look at YOU whether you have to install some updates
manually.

As I do not know what the FAQ says, here is my way of doing it.

Yast > Installation-source > add
Server: ftp.suse.com
Directory: pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source

After that move the entry above the Suse Linux 9.1 entry, make sure both are
activated.

close the window, open Yast > Install software

from the drop-down list at the top-left chose package-groups, go to the
bottom of the list an the left side to zzz all packages.

In the list on the right side you should see all installed packages, click
on available version at the top of the list to sort it. If you are up to
date you should see a lot of red entries, if not you should perform a YOU
update. If you scroll down you wil see a lot of blue entries. Use cursor
keys and the spacebar to mark all of them to be updated, should be a black
and green icon. After you have chosen all blue packages hit the button at
the bottom-right corner and it should work.

Let me know if it does not work.

Sven

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is apt dead in suse?
    ... a big cluster of repos for YaST or Yum in opensuse with no rhyme nor ... The other thing about all of the current PM's in SuSE is time. ... It seems that the entire index of the entire repository is ... Doesn't shutting off Refresh in the Source Installation module speed ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Selecting and installing packages with Yast
    ... I have another identical machine with SuSE 9 and there I can search ... > for a program in Yast and install it from the DVD. ... Maybe your configured installation source is corrupted. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Penguins
    ... I have stuck with Suse on the desktop, ... a buk about YAST. ... on-line installation sources mixed in with the references to the DVD ... I also run Suse on the dell flaptop - ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: KDE Update 3.3 Flawless!
    ... >> sources of installation but when I get to YOU (yast online update) suse ... >> How can I set Suse list the new source of update inside YOU? ... Search by kde ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] YAST >128Mb ?
    ... This seems to work until YAST kicks in, and comes up with an "need ... Checking the faq I found that Yast needs only 96Mb, ... You don't mention which version of SuSE but the newer ones (I think ... starting with 9.1) require 128Mb of ram to use YaST gui. ...
    (SuSE)