Q: Network accounts problem

From: Phill Harvey-Smith (phill_at_bio.warwick.ac.uk)
Date: 11/30/04

Date: 30 Nov 2004 11:43:47 GMT

Hi,

We have a network of several SGI and Linux based machines, that have the
user accounts managed by a server running SuSE 9.1 pro, using yp to manage
the accounts. This works fine most of the time and users can log in and
access their areas on any machine on this network wether it be an SGI of a
Linux box.

However if I make changes to one of the accounts on the server, for example
changing the login shell (and rebuild the yp database with cd /var/yp;
make), then the linux clients (also running either SuSE 8.2 or 9.1), fail to
notice this until they are re-booted.

However the SGI machines notice the change straight away. It is almost as if
the Linux boxes are caching the accounts locally and not refreshing and
therefore not noticing the change.

Is there some command I can run on the clients to make them notice the
change imediatly ?

Thanks.

Phill.

Relevant Pages

  • 9.1 Pro, Apache home directory problem.
    ... I am replacing an SGI server with a SuSE 9.1 Pro ... machines with user home directories mounted on individual machines. ... I have exported the home directories on the other Linux/SGI machines via ... for the SGI machines is /hosts and for the Linux machines is /net however ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: perfmon2 merge news
    ... I hope to convince you, lkml developers, to pay more attention to our ... Imagine my company bought an expensive complex multi nodes, ... My company made the strange decision to go for linux, ... debugging and diagnosing those enormous machines. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Video editing in Linux?
    ... >> or the desire to screw other people's machines up. ... >manufacturwers knew they could sell enough to putrely windows users to ... Does linux take full advantage of your graphics card? ... PC plugin to a plugin within a linux application? ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Need tutorials, guides... However...
    ... performance loss you'll get from an OS like Windows or Linux. ... machines out there have gone off in many different directions. ... expect to find certain hardware at certain addressess. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: a clueless bloke tells Xilinx to get a move on
    ... Desktop 64bit machines this size aren't exactly ... Linux servers here in an MPI cluster, ... data set generally brings the processor to a grinding halt on memory, ... Generally applications which have out grown 32 bit cpu caches, ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)