Watching DVD's in 9.2...

From: kirbalo (kirbalo_at_nospam.com)
Date: 12/15/04

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:28:14 -0600

OK...so I upgraded from 9.0 Pro to 9.2 Pro. Everything went perfectly, I
was actually expecting some things to break...but I was up and running
again in an hour.

But since I've been running 9.0 (for the last year) I was never able to get
a DVD Movie to play in SuSE Linux at all. I tried to load the recommended
libraries and the dependencies as required, but I kept hitting a brick wall
in that it was asking for a library I could never find.

I finally gave up...it shouldn't be that difficult.

Then I built another box and tried Mandrake Linux 10.1 PowerPack. Out of
the box, it installed as easily as SuSE 9.2. It also didn't play DVD's out
of the box either. But it only took one library to find and install, and
there were no dependencies to follow...it just played the DVD perfectly.

My short question is why can't SuSE make it a little easier, and, more
importantly, can someone resuggest how I can get a DVD to play with SuSE?

Thanks in advance...

--
Kirbalo...
K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [SLE] Machine Building - Nightmare Alley - Compatibility and Upgrade
    ... > virus was pumped through my Linux gateway machine and into my XP ... > CDN dollars for SuSe 9.1 Pro and I am hoping the Box set will give me ... > purchase sales department) that I will have to install their SuSe 9.1 ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] Maintenance Nightmare -- new thread from Gigabyte -- Compatibility
    ... misfunctions using HotMetal Pro 6 web authoring too and I had to use the ... gig) unit and had installed Linux SuSe 9.0 from a CD-Rom kit that came ... have to install their SuSe 9.1 distribution from scratch on all my SuSe ... I notice on this list (I subscribe to 14 SuSe lists) a lot of hype about ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Where are the SuSE 9.2 Professional CD ISOs?
    ... site which had the CD ISOs. ... I then tried SuSE 9.2 Pro this past spring when I bought a completely new PC and have been enjoying ever since a return to the stability that I haven't had since my Red Hat days. ... I have resorted to installing SuSE on the parallel bus drive as if it is a stand-alone installation and then just changing my BIOS settings manually to boot from one drive or the other. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [SLE] Machine Building - Nightmare Alley - Compatibility and Upgrade
    ... Linux machine. ... SuSe 9.1 help files? ... HotMetal Pro 6 web authoring tool and I had to use the built in on board ... I notice on this list (I subscribe to 14 SuSe lists) a lot of hype about ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] Maintenance Nightmare - new thread re: Gigabyte board - Compatibility