Samba not working under SuSE 9.2

From: Jerry Whatsisname (bookter_at_EATMEearthlink.net)
Date: 01/13/05

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:03:25 GMT

Hi Folks--

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide. I'm running SuSE 9.2 and
am unable to get Samba to work. I've been to several tutorial sites and
haven't had any luck with them.

I'm logged in as root, on a linux machine with static address
192.168.1.100; the windows box I'm trying to communicate with is running
W2K and on DHCP at 192.168.1.103. The SuSE firewall is off. I'm the only
one who ever uses these machines. My workgroup name is IBMPEERS (I'm an
old OS/2 user). I can ping the W2k machine just fine. I also have an XP
virtual machine inside VMware, but first things first.

Network browsing doesn't see anything when I try to open the 'windows
network'. The windows box can see the linux share, but complains "\\Linux
is not accessible. The network path was not found."

Help!

Here's my smb.conf file:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2004-12-17
# Remove 'socket address' line below if not working
[global]
        workgroup = IBMPEERS
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon drive = P:
        socket address = 192.168.1.100
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        inherit acls = yes

[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = %H
        read only = no
        store dos attributes = yes
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        read only = no
        inherit acls = yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        read only = no