Samba not working under SuSE 9.2

From: Jerry Whatsisname (bookter_at_EATMEearthlink.net)
Date: 01/13/05

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:03:25 GMT

Hi Folks--

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide. I'm running SuSE 9.2 and
am unable to get Samba to work. I've been to several tutorial sites and
haven't had any luck with them.

I'm logged in as root, on a linux machine with static address
192.168.1.100; the windows box I'm trying to communicate with is running
W2K and on DHCP at 192.168.1.103. The SuSE firewall is off. I'm the only
one who ever uses these machines. My workgroup name is IBMPEERS (I'm an
old OS/2 user). I can ping the W2k machine just fine. I also have an XP
virtual machine inside VMware, but first things first.

Network browsing doesn't see anything when I try to open the 'windows
network'. The windows box can see the linux share, but complains "\\Linux
is not accessible. The network path was not found."

Help!

Here's my smb.conf file:

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
# samba-doc package is installed.
# Date: 2004-12-17
# Remove 'socket address' line below if not working
[global]
        workgroup = IBMPEERS
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        map to guest = Bad User
        include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon drive = P:
        socket address = 192.168.1.100
        encrypt passwords = yes
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        inherit acls = yes

[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = %H
        read only = no
        store dos attributes = yes
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        read only = no
        inherit acls = yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        read only = no
        inherit acls = yes

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = yes
        create mask = 0600
        browseable = no

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
        write list = @ntadmin root
        force group = ntadmin
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775

Relevant Pages

  • SAMBA Authentication Problem
    ... University's Windows network. ... Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too ... # per user logon script ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How To Setup a Home LAN?
    ... network icon the error message complaing if the missing "Lisa daemon". ... Make sure you've installed Samba server/client. ... Make these match the ones on Windows. ... Click on File Sharing and enable Administrator Mode. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Samba, please help (newbie)
    ... samba servers. ... > I am trying to configure linux to operate in my win2000 network. ... > you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job; ... > # Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: alsaconf and printing
    ... another computer on my home network that is running samba. ... I then follow all the screens (for windows printer (smb)) ... CUPS HTML frontend, I did create a printers.conf file. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Filesharing between Windows and SuSE Linux
    ... router) and a desktop with a printer connected to thesame network. ... would like to install SuSE Linux on the desktop. ... How "easy" is it to access files on the Linux PC from the windows PC, ... Make sure you've installed Samba server/client with YaST. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)