nforce4 x64 mobos and SuSE 9.2

gbqfeni_at_auwzln.com
Date: 01/15/05

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:12:03 GMT

I'm contemplating upgrading to a x64 mobo with the nforce4 chipset. The
one I'm considering is the Gigabyte GA-K8N-9. From my search of google
and NGs, I've gathered that it is supported but there are some residual
problems in some areas:

X support may require some fiddling, perhaps a text install is required
at the beginning. Since I'll be running a thin client for the display
as I'm don't use the console much, this isn't so important now,

The onboard IDE controller on the PCIe bus may not work due to a
MMCONFIG issue that was worked around in kernel 2.6.10. Since this may
affect install from DVD-ROM this is of concern to me. I suppose I could
install via NFS from another machine with DVD-ROM and then compile a
recent kernel.

I would like to have PCIe for future-proofing, but this last issue is a
bother.

Does anybody have any experiences good or bad?