nforce4 x64 mobos and SuSE 9.2

gbqfeni_at_auwzln.com
Date: 01/15/05

Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:12:03 GMT

I'm contemplating upgrading to a x64 mobo with the nforce4 chipset. The
one I'm considering is the Gigabyte GA-K8N-9. From my search of google
and NGs, I've gathered that it is supported but there are some residual
problems in some areas:

X support may require some fiddling, perhaps a text install is required
at the beginning. Since I'll be running a thin client for the display
as I'm don't use the console much, this isn't so important now,

The onboard IDE controller on the PCIe bus may not work due to a
MMCONFIG issue that was worked around in kernel 2.6.10. Since this may
affect install from DVD-ROM this is of concern to me. I suppose I could
install via NFS from another machine with DVD-ROM and then compile a
recent kernel.

I would like to have PCIe for future-proofing, but this last issue is a
bother.

Does anybody have any experiences good or bad?

  • Re: nforce4 x64 mobos and SuSE 9.2
    ... > X support may require some fiddling, perhaps a text install is required ... > MMCONFIG issue that was worked around in kernel 2.6.10. ... > affect install from DVD-ROM this is of concern to me. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
    ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: install woes
    ... looking at the Fedora 9 64bit DVD: ... I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I remember ... appended the kernel, probably post-install. ... but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen. ...
    (Fedora)