Still having email disappear, question, though...

From: Preston Crawford (me_at_prestoncrawford.com)
Date: 01/19/05

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:44:58 -0600

I upgraded to SuSE 9.2. No, not to try to fix my email problem. Just
because. However, in the process of looking through /var/log/mail to try
to find out what's going on (it's kind of hard to know what to look for,
in terms of what would indicate an email being killed from the server by
fetchmail, but not downloaded) I noticed that postfix is running. I guess
I don't pay too much attention to how email works, but why is postfix
required just so I can download email via fetchmail? Is that because I
need an MTA to deliver mail from fetchmail to the spools? I guess I
thought for some reason that a stand-alone, non-daemon program handled
this.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Also, any what now in terms of my email problem? I had some friends with
problem email accounts (i.e. people who I knew couldn't get email through
to me) email me. And when they did that THIS TIME, I got the email. Now
I'm completely baffled as to what is going on.

Preston

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Still having email disappear, question, though...
    ... > I upgraded to SuSE 9.2. ... not to try to fix my email problem. ... it is not hard to found out what fetchmail does. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: email problem
    ... > Subject: email problem ... > We're having problem in receiving e-mail, ... connecting IP do not match. ... I'm not a postfix expert by any means, but I had to configure postfix to be ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: email problem
    ... From: Cowles, Steve ... Subject: RE: email problem ... > We're having problem in receiving e-mail, ... I'm not a postfix expert by any means, but I had to configure postfix to be ...
    (RedHat)