Re: Dvorak Online: Killing Linux?

From: Andrew (yogig.nospamm.nospam_at_nospam.hotmail.com)
Date: 02/25/05

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:40:11 -0800

Millers wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
> > Why does everyone think all users of windows have root privileges?
>
>> Not all processes run under SYSTEM or NTAUTHORITY either, many run
>> under the specific user's ACL's.
>> Just because people logon to their admin acct, doesn't mean they
>> shouldn't be configuring their machine differently. RTFM.
>>

>> That said, I am using SUSE soley at home now, except for on my laptop.
>

> Well, sometimes you have to apparently. For instance, one of the
> machines we have is running XP Home. (It's provided by the school
> district so I'm stuck w/that OS). As a regular user I tried to install
> MS Flight Simulator. No go, no surprise. Logged in as administrator,
> and it installed. Logged out and tried to run it as a regular user.
> Guess what? It wouldn't run! MS's own product on their own OS wouldn't
> run unless it was as administrator. Go figure.
>
> I asked the MS shills at work and they said to make the regular user a
> power user. Tried. Guess what? No power user in XP Home that I could
> find! Go figure. So guess what box runs w/admin privs. Guess what box
> doesn't have an inet connection...
>
> ...Kevin

See that's what 'Run As' is for.
You are still logged into your user acct. It is just like 'su' in linux.

--
Andrew
00 Daytona

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Dvorak Online: Killing Linux?
    ... >> machines we have is running XP Home. ... Logged out and tried to run it as a regular user. ... >> run unless it was as administrator. ... No power user in XP Home that I could ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Administrator account
    ... Once you have setup a regular user with Admin privileges, the account ... and enter the explicit name Administrator there ... >it won't install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Domain issues
    ... you can set your computer as part of a workgroup with the same ... install software to your hearts content. ... administrator or power user is for that pc locally not on ...
  • Cannot modify user group
    ... power user to an administrator. ... The error is "You must have administrator ... rights to install this program." ... accounts' group properties with no success. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.new_user)
  • Re: Allow non-administrator to receive update notifications?
    ... administrator to install the updates. ... I don't see a problem logging on as an administrator for the sole purpose of checking for and installing security updates but when done it is a good idea to logoff as administrator to do regular internet activity. ... In deploying this in a non-AD managed environment, I am trying to make the users stay logged in as users all the time and creating runas shortcuts to perform admin tasks from within the logged in regular user session. ...