Re: SUSE 9.2 and partition size

From: Rajko M. (kakomo123_at_nospam.bazar)
Date: 03/26/05

Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:45:34 -0600

Hi Fri13,

Fast fix for your problem is to
make directory /usr/opt,
copy /opt files in new directory,
rename /opt to /opt1,
and make symlink:
#ln -s /usr/opt opt
Make sure that all works, and remove /opt1.
Similar linking worked for me couple of times.

The other option is to make use of LVM so you can resize partitons at
will. More about LVM you can find on:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
and then you can decide whether is that for you or not.

Reusing directories like /home is fine idea, but personal application
settings that are kept in it can be a problem if they reference to
nonexistant directories or applications in particular distribution,
and probably it is not the last that has to be solved.

The only thing that can be done easy and brings some advantages is to
keep personal data files on separate partition, attached to the
somewhere in the file system. In SuSE they provided Documents
directory that can be used for that purpose. I guess they intend to
make applications aware of it. In case of crash, system update, use
of different OS, all what has to be done is to attach you data
partition.

--
Greetings,
Rajko

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Writing File System Driver & Creating Virtual Disk Drive in Windows XP [Question by a Novice
    ... strange partition it should be safe, but having a backup of it would be a ... virtual disk, but this is quite dodgy - if you make a mistake here (and ... He needs a file system. ... ***How to show partitions in windows explorer? ...
  • (no subject)
    ... FAT32 XP partition is OK and I can boot XP, ... Cannot find file system superblock ... /dev/ad0s2e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM. ... GEOM: new disk ad0 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • fsck: CANNOT SEEK BLK: -1 (after changing the mainboard)
    ... FAT32 XP partition is OK and I can boot XP, ... Cannot find file system superblock ... /dev/ad0s2e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM. ... GEOM: new disk ad0 ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Is FAT32 format gone?
    ... is nolimit> to partition size re FAT32-formatted partitions. ... FAT32 file system in a WinXPenvironment,> he or she can do ... Disk> Management utility, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How does the Linux clipboard work (when I close an editing window, the clipboard is purged)
    ... Exactly what I'm doing is a number of things at once, with two goals; the first goal is a system-independent programming interface/language, the second goal is a set of tools that will backup, restore, and configure a linux system. ... phpLibMgr, a library manager and development environment, initially for PHP applications. ... partitionBackup, a backup/restore utility that uses rsync or tar to perform backup/recovery operations on a partition basis. ... nautilusExtension, an extension for nautilus that makes nautilus ...
    (alt.os.linux)