SuSE and wireless

From: Houston CAPCOM (null_at_microsoft.com)
Date: 03/28/05

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:46:26 -0800

I've spent the better part of this weekend getting Linux up and running on
my new Sony Laptop. For the most part, I'm pretty impressed. Linux has
come a long way since I tried Red Hat 6 back in 1999. I'm used to OS X so
I'm finding some things quite challenging, but the whole reason I bought a
Intel machine was to learn Linux.

I have a list of questions that I will be posting to this group (sorry for
being a newbie!) but the most pressing is how to get SuSE to connect to my
AirPort network. YaST "sees" a wireless card in this computer: AMBIT
Microsystem AR5215 802.11abg. I have no idea how to get connected to the
network, however. The computer is a Sony VAIO K45 and I am running GNOME,
SuSE 9.2. All the software has been updated via YaST. If anyone can post a
very simple set of steps to get connected to the AirPort, I'd appreciate
it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: which notebook to buy
    ... >> I look for a linux notebook for a friend. ... >> an internal modem. ... I wouldn't *ever* buy a Sony laptop unless it were one of the ... them, really flaky keyboards, and service that sucks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: which notebook to buy
    ... >> I look for a linux notebook for a friend. ... >> an internal modem. ... I wouldn't *ever* buy a Sony laptop unless it were one of the ... them, really flaky keyboards, and service that sucks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Bright LCD laptop?
    ... desktop's amd64 linux distros so I dont have to bother with other 64 ... Doesn't get any better than a Lenovo Thinkpad, ... owned 2 HP's, 2 Dells, and a Sony laptop. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Help!
    ... I got really fed up with Windows and decided to give ... I became determined to install Linux. ... I also opened Yast ... Network devices and Services. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: SLED Rocks!!
    ... I timed changing my IP in YaST. ... but you know Linux inside and out and in this particular case you need ... but don't confuse this problem with placing a fixed IP adress. ... Turning DHCP on in the most importand distros of Linux can not be such ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)