Re: My first impressions with KDE3.4

From: Kevin Nathan (knathan_at_project54.com)
Date: 04/04/05

Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:48:39 -0700

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:41:25 +0100
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> This makes me want to upgrade. I am on SuSE 8.2 with KDE 3.1. Could I
> possibly upgrade in a short amount of time or am I just dreaming?

1. Backup /home dir. (Make note of size of /home for step 3.)
2. Backup any important config files and other important data.
3. Install desired SUSE version, wiping disk and creating a swap
partition, a root partition and a /home partition (about twice the size
of your current /home, if disk size permits).
4. Verify everything works as expected.
5. Restore important data from backup (might want to verify any new
files haven't made major format/content changes).

Creating a /home partition will ease your next upgrade. You would still
back it up, but only format the root partition (and swap if you're so
inclined) and after the upgrade your /home should still be intact -- of
course, the backup ensures you don't lose anything important . . . :-)

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Open standards. Open source. Open minds.