Re: Any Radeon user not experiencing random freeze problem, please confirm

From: Patrick Phillips (patrickphp_at_NOT_ATverizon.net)
Date: 04/09/05

Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:29:51 GMT

Foxy wrote:

> There is a discusion on Rad3D regarding this problem, which people
> like myself encounter. Basicly the description is the following:
>
> After scrolling, browsing or some other actions or trying to launch 3D
> applications, the system completely locks up, however:
>
> 1. Mouse is moveable but not responding to any action
> 2. Keyboard does not respond at all
> 3. Some programmes still works, like sound applications
> 4. SSH-able
> 5. Killing X makes the system completely freeze
>
> It happens if 3D is enabled in XF86Config (Load DRI).
>
> There is thread on Rage3D
> http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33800697 which the
> description of the problem and another one
> http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33811518, where you can
> leave your status.
>
> Basically we are trying to figure out how common this problem is among
> ATI users, however, some NVidia users report this problem as well.
>
> So far the following cards have been reported to have this lock up:
>
> 1. Radeon 9500Pro/9700Pro
> 2. Radeon 9000 Mobility
> 3. Radeon 9200SE
> 4. Radeon 8500
> 5. Saphire X800-XT/PE
> 6. Radeon 9550
>
> If you do not have this problem, could you give a brief description of
> your graphic card including a manufacturer and also some description
> of your system configuration (motherboard, chip, CPU). Your help will
> be highly appreciated. You can do it here or on Rage3D.
>
> For me this bug is very annoying because it is the main reason I
> cannot completely abandon Windows.

Hi, no problem here and I've never heard of this one?

I'm using 9.2 with Nvidia 32bit kernel and Nvidia FX5200 64MB AGP in
Asus A7V8X-X Athlon XP 2600+ and the SuSE driver from YOU online update
3D turned on.
I did have a somewhat simular problem with no keyboard,but mouse and all
programs worked after installing a security update, think it was
kdelibs3 - KDE base libraries 3.3.0-34.3 39.9MB tried this update 3-4
times but always had to go back to previous version, and all was well,
a few weeks later I tried again and it worked and is working now, maybe
it was just one of those passing things. :-)

Seems like I read ATI released new drivers yesterday or day before for
most all its chipsets, don't know if they included Linux though.
-
Patrick in IL.
SuSE 9.2

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 10.3 and system maintenence processes
    ... applications are doing. ... This will disable online update from running every time you ... login and stop the automaitc refresh of all repositories. ... Depending on whether you use Beagle search index, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 10.3 and system maintenence processes
    ... applications are doing. ... Just right-click opensuseupdater in the sys tray, choose quit and then click "do not start on login". ... This will disable online update from running every time you login and stop the automaitc refresh of all repositories. ... Depending on whether you use Beagle search index, you will also want to either disable Beagle in control center, or remove it completely ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 10.3 and system maintenence processes
    ... Roger Oberholtzer wrote: ... applications are doing. ... Just right-click opensuseupdater in the sys tray, choose quit and then click "do not start on login". ... This will disable online update from running every time you login and stop the automaitc refresh of all repositories. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Advantage of Graphics card vs. motherboard VGA built in?
    ... put in a $100 graphic card in a PC other then utilizing the built in ... What types of applications if ... Video Editing, ... gaming) one for free? ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Advantage of Graphics card vs. motherboard VGA built in?
    ... put in a $100 graphic card in a PC other then utilizing the built in ... VGA graphics on my ASUS motherboard. ... What types of applications if ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)