Re: Suse 9.3

From: Kevin Nathan (knathan_at_project54.com)
Date: 04/27/05

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:18:26 -0700

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:00:33 -0700
AnonymousFC3 <ano@fc3.net> wrote:

> Hello:
> just installed from scratch 9.3... and it was not for the faint of
> heart!

Hmm, we had someone post earlier about how his 9 year old son did the
install . . .

> 1) Tried to do an update... and I had to give up: too many errors
> messages in the installer for dependencies, conflict on a system which
> was "clean", with no broken packages.

And how did you determine no packages were broken?

> 2) Installed from scratch, from CD's: it was not so easy. ( I have
> been using Linux for over 5 years).

I bet the nine year old (above) has less experience than that! :-)

> It seems that Suse does not maintain CD's install too well anymore...
> Assuming that every system has a DVD reader is just silly:

I've heard that same complaint for *decades*:

Assuming that every system has a 3200 bpi tape is just silly

Assuming that every system has an 8" floppy is just silly

Assuming that every system has a 5 1/4" floppy is just silly

Assuming that every system has a 3 1/2" floppy is just silly

Assuming that every system has a CD-ROM drive is just silly

> 3) No way to test a CD on the "front menu" (like in Fedora: very
> useful),

Yes, I agree that would be useful. I've only encountered a media error
once, but sure would have been nice to be able to check it, in-place.

> also no easy to recover from a partial install: need to redo
> the whole thing!

I can see where that would be very problematic, and could open up even
more problems . . .

> Also a minimum install should be doable with only one
> CD (I hade to insert each of the five!!).

I don't think you did a minimum install, then. *All* my installs
(minimum graphic with KDE) are one, and sometimes two, CDs. Granted, I
haven't tried 9.3 yet, but it seems strange that SUSE would all of
sudden spread things out like that.

> 4) Mouse: I have a (USB) "Logitech marble" which worked just fine on
> 9.1 and 9.2...

Configuring with sax2?

> 5) SUSE looks more and Microsoft: the marketing people seem to like
> heavy flashy screens, (including the login screen)

That's pretty much the market they are targetting, whether you and I
like it or not.

> I happen to like
> the sober one's.. and I may have to fiddle around for this.

The good thing is, you and I can select what we want. I use icewm and
wm2 mostly and have started looking at openbox and xfce. I haven't used
KDM/GDM/XDM in years, preferring instead to boot to runlevel 3 and then
using 'startx'. That's the beauty of Linux: choice. :-)

> Also the task bar is now less elegant and simple as kde 3.3, a KDE
> issue I know. But the defaults are SUSE's... and I do not like them. A
> minor issue indeed, but why not having a clean system from
> installation.

Haven't seen the 9.3 panel, yet, so can't comment on that . . .

> There is much more, and I could not help thinking that SUSE seems to
> me spending too much time in fancy "visual cosmetics", looking like
> Windows, when at the contrary it should be Linux+KDE+GNOME which stand
> on its own... when properly configured.

But not if you want to attract Windows users.

> May be spending more testing time, may help.
> For the cosmetic, the Standard KDE (latest unmodified) is just fine:
> no need to add the SUSE logo everywhere.

But that's their option -- it *is* after all, SUSE distro and not
GENERIC distro . . . :-)

> YAST2 is about the same as previous version (9.2), (a few more
> features) and still quite good.

Good to know. I'm very happy with how I can (under 9.2) use 'yast2',
'apt', 'rpm' and the 'configure/compile/checkinstall' methods as I
choose and they all seem to work together. For example, I installed the
*old* Firefox that came with 9.2 and then updated with 'apt' to 1.0.2.
Just tonight, YOU updated it to 1.0.3.

> NVIDIA video drivers are supported, not so easy either, could not
> this be more automated... or at least be properly documented during
> the install?

I haven't had any problems with nVidia drivers since SUSE 7.3, and even
then it was a simple CLI script to run (from nVidia). Every release
seems to get a little easier wrt nVidia drivers.

> The geek may be happy, the Joe six packs probably not, it may be time
> for SUSE to go back to the install, and provide two paths:
> a) For Joe six packs on a dual boot windows system.
> b) For the technical person, to be able to install SUSE the way
> (s)he
> needs or wants.

I disagree with this conclusion. Doing the 'Minimal X with KDE' has most
of what Joe Sixpack needs and it's easy to add in missing items later.
They could probably trim down this install, as well as adding in a few
other common items to this install, but seems more complete than a
minimum Windows install.

And the technical person can *already* install SUSE exactly as wanted.
For example, *my* boxes start with a 'Minimal system, no X' (takes very
little time) and after testing, I start adding in the things I want.
There is nothing that SUSE needs to do differently in this regard . . .
;-)

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Open standards. Open source. Open minds.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: MBR changes with 9.1/GRUB
    ... >> Windows help forums. ... >> installing Suse). ... This should restore the master boot ... Alternatively if you have a W2K install disk start the install process ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Bad Motherboard? Upgrade?
    ... If the install process has problems, ... I've been running SuSE 9.2 for the last few months, ... > 2000 installs and runs as well as Windows can on any machine. ... I think it's probably the motherboard. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Serious Question - Mainstream Use - No Troll
    ... > home/family machine to Linux, but not sure I can yet. ... Next time I go visit, her old Windows machine will get the Linux treatment, ... Did you install Windows XP, or was it installed by the manufacturer before ... On my new machine, SuSE was up ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)