Re: mount: No medium found

From: Snorkelson MacBurp (snorkelson_at_macburp.org)
Date: 05/09/05

Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 22:55:41 -0400

Rajko M. said the following on 08/05/05 00:01:
> Snorkelson MacBurp wrote:
>
>>For some reason my CDRW has stopped working. Neither data nor audio cds
>>will mount. I rarely use it so I'm not even sure what I might have done,
>>if anything, to mess it up. Because of the light use, I'm a little
>>reluctant to write it off to hardware failure just yet.
>>
>>fstab entry is:
>>/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder udf,iso9660
>>ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
>>
>>The line for my DVD is essentially the same and it works just fine.
>>
>>Yast sees the CDRW and says it's configured. I've even removed it and
>>added it with Yast a few times, just to make sure. I've googled, but to
>>no avail. Everything seems right, except for the fact that it won't mount.
>>
>>I'm running 9.1 with KDE3.4(Suse rpms). I know it worked before I
>>updated to KDE3.4, but I can't say for sure if it was working
>>immediately prior.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> It can happen that it stops working without any particular reason.
>
> In your case part of electronics that reports CD-RW presence in computer is
> fine. Probably it passed all internal tests, and for CD-RW firmware thinks
> that everything is fine.
>
> Check what happens when you put CD in CD-RW.
> Possibilities:
> 1) nothing
> 2) spinning and blinking and then nothing
>
> First tells that door closing is not recognized. I'm not sure is possible by
> software to set or reset CD-RW to watch for door closing. If it is that
> must be some utility that you can obtain from manufacturer.
>
> Second tells that laser can't read CD. Try cleaning laser lenses using
> special CD for that purpose. Look for one that can run on PC, as there are
> such products for game consoles (play station etc).
>
> You may check burner using another computer, another OS.
>
> Post what model of CD-RW you have. Don't forget to post what Suse thinks
> about the model as it reports what firmware replied about the burner model,
> and firmware knows the best.

Spinning, blinking then nothing.

It's and Acer CDRW 10x4x32 (that's all that's written on the front)

Suse sees it as:
Type: CD-ROM
Vendor: Unknown
Unique ID: cBQ5.DFy10JAhSL8
Available: Yes
Configured: Yes

I'm going to try a bootable CD, I just don't seem to have one on hand at
the moment. I figure that will tell me a lot when it boots/fails to boot.

--
.Snork

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Formatting CDs
    ... to the CD-RW the same thing you do when you formatted a floppy. ... is formatted you could mount it and use it like you use a hard drive. ... You can create an image, and burn that image to a CD, and then (if you have a CDRW) erase that image and write a new one, but they're not a random- write device like floppies and hard disks. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: problem with cdrw
    ... and here says if you want that your CDRW ... system starts up, I get an "unable to mount" type of message (sorry, but I'm ... at work and this is a home system, so I don't have the exact message) when I ... or by running mount from the command line ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: CDRWing
    ... Write the CD-RW, blank it, write it again. ... > not concerned about how many times a CDRW is capable of doing this. ... A UDF CD-RW that's been written in packet-writing mode is not ... If you want to use packet-writing, you need to use UDF as well. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Cant mount a CDRW under ide-cd
    ... I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for debugging help. ... I can't mount CDs on my cdRW. ... interacts with mount and finding a medium. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Help on CD-RW procedures
    ... Your missing the fact that the XP build in burner treats all CD's the same. ... back up files to the CDRW. ... I have to erase the whole CD-RW disk ...