Re: ruby on rails and suse 9.1

From: Marvyn von Mars (mvm_at_mars-bars.red)
Date: 05/18/05

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 05:45:49 GMT

jd33526@gmail.com wrote:
> The ruby that comes as an rpm on suse 9.1 is not the most recent
> version and the most recent version is required for ruby on rails. I'm
> trying to compile the most recent version. I'll put some real effort
> into it this weekend when I get some time and post if I get it working.

It should easy.

I downloaded Ruby 1.8.2 source tarball.

The usual process (configure/make/make install):
1, untar
    $ tar -xzvf ruby-1.8.2...
2. $ cd ruby-... (the newly created directory)
3. $ ./configure
4. $ make
5. $ su
6. # make install
7. SuSEconfig
    (This may not be necessary.
     YaST does this after 'install/remove software'.)
8. # exit
Do any clean-ups.

/* using 'checkinstall':
5. $ mkdir doc-pak
6. $ cp INSTALL README [and other such files] doc-pak
7. $ su
8. # checkinstall -R make install
9. # rpm -ivvv /usr/src/.../ruby-1.8.2...i386.rpm
10. # SuSEconfig
11. # exit
*/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem with IRB and some sample code...
    ... If this does not work for you then you can always install ruby from source. ... If that is what you need to do then you can rename Tiger's ruby binary to ruby.tiger or something and install from source. ... tar xvzf rubygems* cd rubygems* sudo ruby setup.rb ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • [ANN] RubyInstaller: Building installers story and news
    ... Ruby Installer. ... Start menu of Windows. ... Can I install Ruby 1.8 and 1.9 at the same time? ... lot of gems and packages where bundled. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Recommended way to install Rubygems
    ... user needs to use rubygems to install that application because it's ... written in ruby, while the ruby is just interested in the functionality ... how do Perl and Python deal with this? ... As a result, Debian currently contains more than 2000 perl libraries, ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Problem with IRB and some sample code...
    ... install the newly built binaries if no errors in the tests ... sudo make install ... tar xvzf rubygems* ... Now ruby and ruby gems should be installed. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: cannot access gems
    ... And thanks for validating my concerns about Rubygems. ... grateful for the wonder that is ruby ... Much of this is in the context of folks trying to install Rails, ... Much as I LOVE Ubuntu, and i's parent Debian, sometimes the debian ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)