Re: Desktop Linux? Where is it hiding? Is this group a joke or something?

masked.slacker_at_gmail.com
Date: 05/28/05

Date: 28 May 2005 12:21:52 -0700

lqualig@uku.co.uk wrote:
> You made some very good points. But you're completely off base with
> this one...
>
> >Wrong. Users should know everything about how the OS works,
> > about how the programs they use interface. This way, they can
> > actually use the system competently, and troubleshoot their problems.
> > Computers should NOT be black boxes.
>
> The first sentence would be better phrased - "Computer geeks want to
> know everything about how the OS works..."

Indeed we do.

> "Users" are the average Joe in this country. They want to start their
> computer and check email, surf the web a bit, write some letters, pay
> their bills and play a game or two. Sales and Marketing types need to
> use spreadsheets and create powerpoint presentations. Doctors want to
> access medical information. Etc, etc, etc.
>
> The average doctor, mechanic, mom, pilot, cop, etc DOES want the
> computer to be a black box. They could care less to "know everything
> about how the OS works." I'd estimate that over 95% of computer users
> in this world have zero inclination to learn everything about how their
> OS works. They just need to use a computer to get their work done.

I don't care whether they want to. What people want has nothing to do
with what is best. I said they SHOULD know how it works, i did not say
they want to. I know they don't want to. And i don't care.

> If the selling point of Linux to these people is - "With Linux you'll
> get to learn everything there is to know about operating systems" then
> people will run, not walk, away from you.

Fine by me. Less people with the mentality of four-year olds to do
tech support for.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Desktop Linux? Where is it hiding? Is this group a joke or something?
    ... >> Computers should NOT be black boxes. ... Sales and Marketing types need to ... > The average doctor, mechanic, mom, pilot, cop, etc DOES want the ... I don't care whether they want to. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Desktop Linux? Where is it hiding? Is this group a joke or something?
    ... >> Computers should NOT be black boxes. ... Sales and Marketing types need to ... > The average doctor, mechanic, mom, pilot, cop, etc DOES want the ... I don't care whether they want to. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Parents Pull Kids From Day Care (And Other Deflationary Topics)
    ... Parents Pull Kids From Day Care ... A miserable holiday shopping season is underway with Retail Sales ... many years before we should start worrying about inflation again. ...
    (misc.invest.stocks)
  • Re: Delphi Pricing and Rip-Off Britain
    ... If you don't even care ... Forth, as I said, there are reasons why resellers in the UK ... marketing, support, local sales reps, etc. do not have the ... wouldn't need to hire support, sales reps, maintain offices, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Second Week Sales
    ... Since when is the end of creating art always "wanting the most amount ... Are you saying that that he shouldn't care no matter how low the sales ... he's also at a label that gives him complete autonomy. ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)