Re: Forgot root password. How to reset it?

From: houghi (houghi_at_houghi.org.invalid)
Date: 07/02/05

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:40:47 -0000

TokaMundo wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:54:41 -0000, houghi <houghi@houghi.org.invalid>
> Gave us:
>

>>No, don't. That would make you system extremely unsafe. That would be
>>like putting the housekeys under your doormat. Just let it be a lesson
>>in never to forget your password.
>
> I will always be "there".
>
> My bootloader (XOSL) requires a password, even before Grub is
> pointed to. Is it still "insecure" for the mentioned scenario?

Yes. Any method that can automagicaly go past the rootpassword is
unsafe. I see no need in doing such a thing. If you really are afraid of
forgetting your password that frequently that you need something like
that, write down the password, put it in a sealed envelope and put that
in a sealed glass box with 'Break in case of forgetfullness'.

Hang that in a place whwre you will notice it directly when it is
broken. You can also put your BIOS password in there.

Never ever do something that will automagically bypass the root
password. As you want to use a BIOS password, it means you want higher
safety, so why make step two less safe?

--
houghi						      http://houghi.org

All my postings should  be read as if each line has a smiley behind it,
unless indicated  otherwise, including the signature.