Re: Fetchmail revisited

From: Preben Traerup (invalid_at_invalid.invalid)
Date: 07/05/05

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:58:21 +0200

Martin Blume wrote:
> "Phil Da Lick!" schrieb
>
>>All mail to mydomain is put into one mailbox at my isp. I
>>think they call it host based mail. Anyhow, fetchmail
>>should retrieve it all and pass it on unmodified for the
>>local smtp server to sort based on the usernames before
>>the @ in the domain. Seems simple enough to me.
>>

> That one is new to me, "host based mail". Don't know if
> fetchmail supports that.

It can be done kinda piece of cake,
read about how to use MTA option in fetchmail...(*)

This option makes fetchmail to forward each and every mail to
a script written by you rather than handing it to the MTA untouched. In
this script, you decide who realy should receive this mail locally and
you make the (sendmail -f and a bunch of other arguments) MTA call.
I know for SUSE it is postfix which is the MTA, but postfix should be
able to do the same, just a matter of RTM and google.

I used a (buggy) perl script on the net as a sample, but might be able
to find my old script again together with the fetchmail configuration.

./Preben

(*) fetchmail I used to do this trick was on FreeBSD 5.0, but I think
the option still lives. The hardest part is to get the script right
because one need to parse the mail header.
AND I did help the sorting a bit because at my ISP I'm allowed to
have aliases to the same mailadress

thus fred@mydomain.com goes to ispfreddy@isp.com
      blabla@mydomain.com goes to ispblabla@isp.com

This made the script less complicated....

Relevant Pages

  • RE: configuring dial-up for extreme novices (i.e. Mom).
    ... I'm going to use userland ppp and postfix. ... > your Mom a script to run which will start fetchmail, ... Then have commands in script to kill fetchmail and user ... sudo /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -background myisp ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Troubles starting fetchmail from init scripts
    ... My startup script and configuration. ... # Start fetchmail for jonrysh ... echo "Configuration file not found " ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: strange email behavior
    ... > different computer you use fetchmail to connect to the ... > poll your POP3 mailbox manually to debug your problem. ... I saw that the script was calling /etc/fetchmailrc, ... instead of my user's mbox. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: strange email behavior
    ... > startup script for fetchmail that might have something to do with it. ... Since running fetchmail as root is such an unbelievably bad idea that I ... the init script that you've got. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: fetchmail with antispam still clogged
    ... Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote: ... > The '<' lines are received by fetchmail from your MTA. ... So I have my machine and my ISP name. ...
    (Debian-User)