Re: I'm new to SUSE/Linux, here are some questions (long)

From: Jan Stozek (conus-spm_at_chello.pl)
Date: 09/03/05

    Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:22:40 +0200

    MarkH zmarszczył się, zamyślił i w wiadomości z sobota, 3 września
    2005 12:17 napisał:

    > have burnt a couple of CDs with K3B and am thinking about loading
    > Nero
    > as I am used to that.

            NeroLinux is something completely different, than Nero for Windows.
    Some 3 generations behind. Give it a try, but many people on
    newsgroups complained and returned to K3b.

    > I would like to know what sites I can set as
    > sources for installing stuff, this seems to be an easier way to load
    > stuff into Linux than downloading files and installing them.

            Nearest SuSE mirror. Also pages, like http://rpm.pbone.net are worth
    bookmarking - they allow you to find rpm's conviniently from various
    sites - not all of the software is included on official Novell sites.

    > For my No3 PC I may take some time to change to SUSE as I need to
    > figure out how to get Squid working (maybe I need a good graphical
    > front end).

            As far, as I can remember, basic wirking setup is done automagically.

    > I should be able to do it on No1). I also have a Pocket PC that I
    > synchronize with my Outlook for contacts, schedules and some E-Mails
    > - how doable is that on Linux (maybe I could just install WinXP in a
    > VM- Ware virtual machine and run Outlook on that)?

            Linux + wine probably won't do. A virtual machine probably will, but
    prepare for some dirty work to do.

    > To be honest I find Linux a bit of a pain to do some things with,

            Yeah. Definitely, there's less wizards on Linux, and most advanced
    things cannot be done from the GUI.

    > I like Alcohol 120% on Windows, what is the best equivalent for
    > Linux to mount my ISOs?

            Regular ISO's can be mounted with regular system tools; someone has
    already said that. AFAIR, Alcohol has some capabilities to read
    protected CD's, and I'm not sure what Linux tools would do this task.

    > What newsreader do I use in Linux (I like XNews in windows and hate
    > the standard Knode reader in SUSE)?

            I use knode. There is a mozilla spinoff (thunderbird?), and some
    other programs. I've read, it's even possible to run xnews under
    wine. Just give them a try.

    --
    Best regards,
    (js).

    • Re: Dialog under Linux
      ... mail and news separate. ... I will still continue to use Linux in my spare time and on rainy ... I'm surprised you can't find something better than Outlook;-) ... I've long since given up trying to get people to change to Linux, ...
      (uk.people.silversurfers)
    • Re: Is there an equivalent of Outlook?
      ... > Can someone tell me if there is an equivalent of Outlook for Linux? ... > Outlook is really powerfull and offers many functionalities. ... Filter Actions: ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: How to read this NG
      ... a recommendation for Outlook express. ... Auf meinem PC luft zur Zeit Windows 2000 Pro US und solange der Rechner ... Leider habe ich unter Linux ... My PC runs Windows 2000 Pro US and, as long as the box keeps running, that ...
      (sci.lang.japan)
    • Outlook using IMAP hangs
      ... I was using Outlook express as my client via IMAP over vmware to the ... If I go to the linux side, then find the imap process (it's the wu ... to kill the imap server on the linux side every 15 minutes or so is ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • Re: OT: Mac users?
      ... > Thump wrote: ... >> with Outlook AND Outlook express. ... >> Although I've started messing with Linux, I can't find a Linux version ... I installed XP SP2 last weekend. ...
      (alt.guitar.bass)