Re: Failing to get wireless card working on Toshiba + Suse

From: Jeremy Russell (spam4me_at_jeremyrussell.co.uk)
Date: 09/04/05

Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:13:38 +0100

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:37:37 -0400, felmon <noone@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:32:09 +0100, Jeremy Russell wrote:
>
>your story is scary; I have a question or two.
>
>(1) by 'complete reinstall' you mean, you have reformatted the partition
>and reinstalled, or you have deleted all the files on the partition and
>reinstalled, or you have rewritten the partition with a new copy from the
>dvd? in any case, be sure there is nothing left over from the prior
>install.

I just rebooted from the Linux DVD and selected 'Installation' - when
YaST detects an existing installation, I'm selecting 'overwrite
current'.

>(2) frankly, you shouldn't be 'reinstalling' when you hit a problem like
>this anyway. best try to figure out the issue.

I thought it would be best to start over, especially since I have
nothing in the Linux partition that I wanted to keep. The purpose of
this exercise is to have Oracle 10g running for demo purposes (I'm a
database trainer and want to play with the Linux version of the
database).

>in your shoes it would be hard to resist the temptation to reinstall with
>the hope of getting back to a working wireless setup. I know how that
>feels but have been in Linux long enough it no longer seems to have a
>point. but indulge yourself, if you are impatient, just to get to a
>working setup, but after that, no more!

Trust me, I'm a firm believer in 'If it works, don't fix it!'

>(3) if it is working, note all the important network settings and write
>them down. I think yast provides most of what you need. of course, you
>have your isp's info like dns numbers and such. you have also queried your
>router? also make sure either SuSE's or your router's firewall isn't
>standing in the way.

Yep - all checked already - the IP/Mac addresses for the NIC are being
accepted when the laptop boots in WinXP, therefore I've ruled out a
problem with router/modem configuration. The issue has to be within
Linux somewhere, I just need to locate what changes between the
installation connection test and the next reboot. I know just enough
about Unix (Linux) to be dangerous ... :)

>if I recall, you get a problem with updates. then I would do an update but
>not in one dump but instead I would query each option and look to see what
>is happening with network-related stuff.

Sounds sensible ... will do tomorrow (today is nice and sunny in the
UK for a change)

>my own untutored suspicion is that either some configuration data is
>getting munged, a firewall is blocking you or the wrong driver is getting
>installed.

I'd think the same but as I say, it's weird that connections work
DURING the installation but not after. My own instinct says that the
reverse is more likely ...

>by the way, I believe I have the same network device in my newly bought HP
>Pavillion laptop onto which I just installed Mepis and had the same
>experience as another poster - wifi started up, found not only my network
>but two of my neighbor's and in fact hitchhiked on one of my neighbor's
>before I realized what was happening!
>
>(one neighbor had PCX5000 as their network name which is, of course, a
>Toshiba brand modem/router combo. I wonder if they bothered to change the
>default admin and password?)

I also found a 'hitchhiker' on my network when I installed new
hardware 10 days ago (before the Linux installation). I had a three
year old D-Link router and a separate Netgear access point - the AP
had died, so I threw the lot out and replaced it all. The new router
is much more forthcoming with info, which is when I found the
intruder. I'm torn between blocking 'em and charging rent :)

>but stop the reinstalls. that's like fixing a lock by demolishing the
>house and rebuilding.

:)