Re: Failing to get wireless card working on Toshiba + Suse

From: Jeremy Russell (spam4me_at_jeremyrussell.co.uk)
Date: 09/04/05

Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:13:38 +0100

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:37:37 -0400, felmon <noone@nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:32:09 +0100, Jeremy Russell wrote:
>
>your story is scary; I have a question or two.
>
>(1) by 'complete reinstall' you mean, you have reformatted the partition
>and reinstalled, or you have deleted all the files on the partition and
>reinstalled, or you have rewritten the partition with a new copy from the
>dvd? in any case, be sure there is nothing left over from the prior
>install.

I just rebooted from the Linux DVD and selected 'Installation' - when
YaST detects an existing installation, I'm selecting 'overwrite
current'.

>(2) frankly, you shouldn't be 'reinstalling' when you hit a problem like
>this anyway. best try to figure out the issue.

I thought it would be best to start over, especially since I have
nothing in the Linux partition that I wanted to keep. The purpose of
this exercise is to have Oracle 10g running for demo purposes (I'm a
database trainer and want to play with the Linux version of the
database).

>in your shoes it would be hard to resist the temptation to reinstall with
>the hope of getting back to a working wireless setup. I know how that
>feels but have been in Linux long enough it no longer seems to have a
>point. but indulge yourself, if you are impatient, just to get to a
>working setup, but after that, no more!

Trust me, I'm a firm believer in 'If it works, don't fix it!'

>(3) if it is working, note all the important network settings and write
>them down. I think yast provides most of what you need. of course, you
>have your isp's info like dns numbers and such. you have also queried your
>router? also make sure either SuSE's or your router's firewall isn't
>standing in the way.

Yep - all checked already - the IP/Mac addresses for the NIC are being
accepted when the laptop boots in WinXP, therefore I've ruled out a
problem with router/modem configuration. The issue has to be within
Linux somewhere, I just need to locate what changes between the
installation connection test and the next reboot. I know just enough
about Unix (Linux) to be dangerous ... :)

>if I recall, you get a problem with updates. then I would do an update but
>not in one dump but instead I would query each option and look to see what
>is happening with network-related stuff.

Sounds sensible ... will do tomorrow (today is nice and sunny in the
UK for a change)

>my own untutored suspicion is that either some configuration data is
>getting munged, a firewall is blocking you or the wrong driver is getting
>installed.

I'd think the same but as I say, it's weird that connections work
DURING the installation but not after. My own instinct says that the
reverse is more likely ...

>by the way, I believe I have the same network device in my newly bought HP
>Pavillion laptop onto which I just installed Mepis and had the same
>experience as another poster - wifi started up, found not only my network
>but two of my neighbor's and in fact hitchhiked on one of my neighbor's
>before I realized what was happening!
>
>(one neighbor had PCX5000 as their network name which is, of course, a
>Toshiba brand modem/router combo. I wonder if they bothered to change the
>default admin and password?)

I also found a 'hitchhiker' on my network when I installed new
hardware 10 days ago (before the Linux installation). I had a three
year old D-Link router and a separate Netgear access point - the AP
had died, so I threw the lot out and replaced it all. The new router
is much more forthcoming with info, which is when I found the
intruder. I'm torn between blocking 'em and charging rent :)

>but stop the reinstalls. that's like fixing a lock by demolishing the
>house and rebuilding.

:)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Installing Linux on Windows dual boot machine
    ... Ideally, should Linux be installed before my data partition, after it, ... and a Linux installation; ... Windows will not see the Linux installation at all. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Needed help with Linux installation
    ... If so, did the installation software ... create partitions for linux from within the installation software. ... This makes linux author the partition table entries, ... >ignoring may cause warning problems with some boot loaders. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: RH9 install question..
    ... I was able to overcome the problem by just creating a partition ... It is very strange that Linux didn't recognize the brand new HDD right out ... Couple of notes what I noticed during installation. ... The disk was recognized but ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Disk Management Tool in XP Upgrade
    ... I had to reinstall my OS due to MS updates conflicts. ... NTFS partition. ... install Windows Me before using the Windows XP Upgrade. ... version's installation CD, not to have ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)