Hard Reboot - fsck required. What's up?

From: PerfectReign (theperfectreign_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 09/15/05

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:16:54 -0700

Yesterday I got an email from an online acquaintance. He'd had an issue
where Pan (under 9.3/KDE) simply froze. He ended up powering off the
computer and was forced into a command line screen saying, to give the
root password and type "mount -n -o remount,rw /" and then to Ctrl+D to
reboot.

Okay, believe it or not, this exact thing happened to me on the way to
work this morning. I carpool to work and am able to work on programming
items while getting driven.

I brought my laptop out of suspend and went into Eclipse. Eclipse gave
me a few errors, then I tried to get out of it. All keys were frozen. I
couldn't even do the ctrl+alt+esc thingy.

I shut down. When I came back up I had the same issues you had.

I ended up (while in the car) funning fsck --rebuild-tree and then
--fix-fixable on the partition. That took around half an hour.
Everything seems to be fine now.

WTF happened? I'd send a log, but there doesn't seem to be one. If there
is, it isn't under /var/log.

--
kai
www.perfectreign.com