Re: Deleting Windows

From: houghi (houghi_at_houghi.org.invalid)
Date: 09/18/05

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:12:44 -0000

Fibber wrote:
> You will excuse me houghi but, as you can guess, I am a bit scary about this
> step (first time I do it) and I want absolutely be sure not to do mistakes.
> So:
>
>> The best this is done when you are NOT a user. So log in as root. This
>> is about the only exeption you should not be a user.
>
> 1) I will format hda1 as filesystem Reiser (as said). But I am *already*
> root when I do this. Or you mean that I - first - log in as user, then
> launch yast from inside the user box as root, format hda1, and finally log
> out to perform the other tasks as (pure, so to speak) root ? otherwise I
> don't understand when you write:

You do not need to any formatting. Yast will do that for you. Do not be
logged in ANYWHERE. Just follow the steps. I will give some comments.

>> Log out [CTRL][ALT][F1]. Log in as root and then 'init 3'.
That way you will be logged in as root
>> Next `mv /home /home_backup`
That will create a backup of your old data
>> Start Yast and make your /home (Yast works great in CLI)
More below
>> now `cp -a /home_backup /home`
Put the data into the new drive
>> `su - login` to check if all is ok
Testing part one
>> `ls` to see if all is there.
Testing part two
>> exit
Log out as user
>> init 5 && exit
Log out og CLI
>> log in as user.
Be running it again

> What I don't understand is why I can't do all these steps as root inside the
> the user box.

You don't do it inside a user box. With [CTRL][ALT][F1] and the as root
`init 3` youb are outside the user box and logged in on CLI as root.

> 2) What i don't even understand is what you write above:
>
>> Start Yast and make your /home

You explained that you wanted to use Yast to format your partition. This
is what you do here. Reformat the partition with Yast. On the right
lowerside you can set the mounting point. There you put /home

> Why can't I do this only with a makedir /home ?
Because then you need to format the drive manually and put the mount
point in /etc/fstab manually. Something you did not want to do.

--
houghi	Please do not toppost			http://houghi.org
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Boot problem in SuSE 10
    ... > That is hard way to learn that all rpm files are not usable on SUSE. ... > Login as root and run yast in text mode. ... You are about to enter another dimension, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] How to get the correct entries in Grub (legacy)?
    ... root ... title openSUSE default kernel with neither KDM nor resume ... This form makes it easier at each boot for you to edit on the fly should you wish or need to without having to fall back to a grub prompt. ... Actually YaST created this for Grub Legacy, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: /etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
    ... But to reach the hd in the imac flatscreen (not the imac ... and on an OpenBSD system: ... The "-l" option shows you the listing in the long format, ... listing to anyone other than the root account. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: [opensuse] How to get the correct entries in Grub (legacy)?
    ... root ... This form makes it easier at each boot for you to edit on the fly should you wish or need to without having to fall back to a grub prompt. ... Actually YaST created this for Grub Legacy, ... At this point my feelings towards a fresh install grew bigger. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: /etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
    ... and on an OpenBSD system: ... The "-l" option shows you the listing in the long format, ... if it is indicated in the environment variable EDITOR. ... listing to anyone other than the root account. ...
    (comp.security.unix)