Loadlin 1.6C problem when installing Novell Linux Desktop 9

From: Dennis Peere (sycrontw_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 10/14/05

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:26:05 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to perform an automated harddisk installation of NLD 9 but seem
to have problems loading initrd with loadlin 1.6C.

The original initrd deliverd on CD1 of NLD is 5706806 bytes and I think
that's too big for loadlin 1.6C.

When I boot in FREEDOS and start loadlin I use the following command

LOADLIN LINUX initrd=INITRD ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc

It ends with the following error message :

RAMDISk: Compressed image found at block 0

Invalid compressed format (err=2)

VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem) readonly

Freeing unused kernel memory: 212K freed

I've tried the following commands, without success, to start loadlin :

LOADLIN LINUX INITRD=INITRD ramdisk_size=65536

LOADLIN linux initrd=initrd init=/linuxrc

LOADLIN linux initrd=initrd init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0

I've used the same loadlin version to install RedHat 8.0 and RHES 4 without
any problems.

Although I must say that the initrd.img's were smaller on RH (2711963 bytes
for RH8 and 3092868 bytes for RHES4)

If I boot from CD1 and start the installation, the following modules are
loaded during installation :

Module Size Used by

reiserfs 241488 1

edd 9368 0

dm_snapshot 16796 0

dm_mod 50300 1 dm_snapshot

multipath 7688 0

raid6 98576 0

raid5 20736 0

xor 15240 2 raid6,raid5

raid1 14848 0

raid0 8192 0

parport_pc 35520 0

parport 37832 1 parport_pc

usb_storage 60096 0

uhci_hcd 29200 0

hid 40896 0

ehci_hcd 27908 0

usbcore 103644 6 usb_storage,uhci_hcd,hid,ehci_hcd

ide_cd 36740 0

sg 35616 0

sr_mod 16292 0

sd_mod 20224 0

scsi_mod 108876 4 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod

cdrom 36892 2 ide_cd,sr_mod

cramfs 42868 1

vfat 14208 2

fat 43584 1 vfat

af_packet 20872 0

nvram 8456 0

I've tried to mount the initrd (from the NLD cd's) and removed all modules
that weren't loaded during the cd installation.

The result was an initrd of 2056532 bytes

When I started loadlin with that initrd I got the following error mesages
with every module the kernel want to load :

. on VT3

insmod: error inserting '/modules/reiserfs.ko': -1 Invalid module format

insmod: error inserting '/modules/eepro100.ko': -1 Invalid module format

.

. on VT4

ehci_hcd: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

uhci_hcd: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

.

After giving up on trying to find out what modules I needed to put in the
initrd I started looking for an alternative program for loadlin that can
mount the original initrd and found

Tiny.exe => http://sourceforge.net/projects/gujin/

Used that with the following command : tiny.exe linux initrd root=/dev/ram0
ramdisk_size=65536 init=/linuxrc

Error message : Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to
kernel.

linld.com => http://195.66.192.168/linux/linld/

Used that with the followinc command : linld.com image=linux initrd=initrd
cl=nld.par

nld.par includes : ramdisk_size=65536 install=hd://suse/nld/cd1
autoyast=file:///mounts/extra/autoinst.xml

Error message : -1 Invalid module format for every module it wants to load.

Hope someone can help me out :-(

Regards,

Dennis Peere

Relevant Pages

  • Loadlin 1.6C problem when installing Novell Linux Desktop 9
    ... I'm trying to perform an automated harddisk installation of NLD 9 but seem ... to have problems loading initrd with loadlin 1.6C. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Boot Instal thru Loadlin and initrd image
    ... > is no longer possible to do an installation by booting thru an initrd ... I have today managed to boot from dos using loadlin. ... The kernel and initrd I used are from the hd-media installation method. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Loadlin fails where lilo succeeds.
    ... Lilo boots fine. ... initrd like the ones that are used with lilo, ... fs type ext3 not supported by kernel. ... causes it to continue with ext2 while this is not the case for loadlin? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Boot Instal thru Loadlin and initrd image
    ... > I have today managed to boot from dos using loadlin. ... > The kernel and initrd I used are from the hd-media installation method. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Loadlin under Config.sys -- AAAAGH!
    ... >attempt at perfroming a Linux installation and I am totaly lost. ... The first partition is primary and presently running Win ... >My approach to this has been to boot the minimalist linux kernal by way of Loadlin and initrd ...
    (Debian-User)