Re: IDE Zip 100 ATAPI doesn't work; Novell Suse Linux 10.0 retail

From: NunYa Bidness (nunyabidness_at_nunyabidness.org)
Date: 10/21/05

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:56:55 GMT

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:06:22 -0500, David Swanson <dmaxus@yahoo.com>
Gave us:

>houghi wrote:
>
>> David Swanson wrote:
>>> Thanks for responding Al. I have all SATA off. As far as P&P in Bios, I
>>> just left everything to auto.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> hardware dump:
>> < 7000+ lines, yes, SEVEN THOUSAND >
>>
>> There are people who pay per byte and/or per minute. Although it is
>> plain text, it is a bit much to dump in a newsgroup.
>>
>Sorry Houghi and to the group!
>
>-Dave

  You SHOULD turn OFF the P&P setting on your MOBO. Not just leave it
in "auto", ignoring the advice you were given.

  P&P in BIOS means that the bios does NOT assign an IRQ, and leaves
it to the OS. When it is turned OFF, the BIOS assigns the basic IRQ
assignments to the currently connected hardware.

  There was a time in distros like red hat linux, where this was
actually required.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: bios update and registry cleaners
    ... >>> I'm a regular reader of this newsgroup. ... >>> Updating a bios is no more difficult than installing most ... You download the bios update from the manufacturer and ... >>> Bios updating can prevent problems when installing new hardware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What IDE Drive for my 5 year old Dell8200
    ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User ... Please reply to the newsgroup ... I will upgrade my bios to latest when my new floppy drive arrive ... of all hard drives. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Visual 1050 Memory Map / ROM disassembly tips?
    ... Newsgroup, boasted in one of his message: ... As to sharing old programs the list was not for that (it's not ... The BIOS is far more involved as there are two cpus and one is ... ram is the CP/M processor. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: BIOS query
    ... This freeware programme is excellent for getting information ... is fine for posting small amounts of information into newsgroup ... affect the BIOS, but my personal guess is that I ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: BIOS query
    ... To copy select Report, Quick Report, Plain Text, highlight ... is fine for posting small amounts of information into newsgroup ... affect the BIOS, but my personal guess is that I ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)