Re: IDE Zip 100 ATAPI doesn't work; Novell Suse Linux 10.0 retail

From: NunYa Bidness (nunyabidness_at_nunyabidness.org)
Date: 10/21/05

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:56:55 GMT

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:06:22 -0500, David Swanson <dmaxus@yahoo.com>
Gave us:

>houghi wrote:
>
>> David Swanson wrote:
>>> Thanks for responding Al. I have all SATA off. As far as P&P in Bios, I
>>> just left everything to auto.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> hardware dump:
>> < 7000+ lines, yes, SEVEN THOUSAND >
>>
>> There are people who pay per byte and/or per minute. Although it is
>> plain text, it is a bit much to dump in a newsgroup.
>>
>Sorry Houghi and to the group!
>
>-Dave

  You SHOULD turn OFF the P&P setting on your MOBO. Not just leave it
in "auto", ignoring the advice you were given.

  P&P in BIOS means that the bios does NOT assign an IRQ, and leaves
it to the OS. When it is turned OFF, the BIOS assigns the basic IRQ
assignments to the currently connected hardware.

  There was a time in distros like red hat linux, where this was
actually required.