Why Would . . ?

From: Dr. Deb (dgfreeman_at_mon-cre.net)
Date: 10/28/05

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:45:25 -0500

Why would any sensible person BUY Novell's latest Linux offering? I
did,mainly to support the company. What did I get for my $59.95? A system
that runs well, but whose apps are inadequately incorporated into the
packaged system.

Take the audio players for instance, the only one that would work out of the
box was RealPlayer 10. The old tried and true XMMS was seriously hobbled,
just like in version 9.3. For a commercial product, that is inexcusable.
Yes, I could/did download the drivers, but only after finding out where to
find them and doing the download and install via Yast.

Bottom line, I could have saved myself a chunk of change and frustrations by
doing the download of OpenSuse and then doing the install of the apps and
app drivers.

If you are buying the system, you have a right to expect that Novell has
taken the time to make sure all the app offerings at least have the
necessary drivers to make them work!!!

Buy 10.1,or anyother release, not on your life. Unless, or until, Novell
does a better job of producing a working package.

Deb

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Why Would . . ?
    ... and whose apps are not at all included with the ... > Yes, I could/did download the drivers, but only after finding out where to ... > find them and doing the download and install via Windows Update. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How do I safely update a Graphics Card?
    ... not just pick & choose updates/patches - things are dependant ... on other things, so you have to keep drivers, OS updates and the ... apps up to date. ... you download it, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • >>>> APPS DOWNLOAD <<<<
    ... apps free full audio download, apps and full downloads, apps ... download, apps download macromedia director mx warez, apps for mac ... downloads, crack apps download visual studio net, cracked iphone apps ... download mobile java apps, download moto l71 games and apps, download ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Apples poor positioning for the age *after* x86
    ... This makes them similar to the top level of the left side of the Start menu in XP, where the user can place frequently used apps. ... drivers that are on the disk, but not 'installed', there are drivers that are 'installed' but not loaded, and then there are drivers that are actively being used. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Dear Mr Gates, A suggestion to make the CLR Ubiquitous
    ... I am not sure why Office 12 is a delivery vehicle for the framework as IIRC ... but they are probably not a target for your apps anyway. ... that kind of download size is ... Give a CD with .Net on it and ask her or him to install it ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)