Re: The Kernel

From: houghi (
Date: 11/03/05

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 00:38:04 +0100

mbjj wrote:
> If I wanted to get into the kernel to play around with it, see
> how it's structured and set up. Maybe see exactly what it is.
> How do you go about getting in there. Obviously it would have to
> be done as root in with a terminal screen but other than that I
> have no idea. I want to do this on a box that has no bearing on
> the other machines I have running here. Lets look at the kernel.

Install the kernel sources. Install the books rpm.
Start reading a LOT. The books it installs are:
"Linux Installation and getting started" - Matt Welsh
"Linux Programmers Guide" - Sven Goldt and Sven van der Meer
"Linux Network Administrators Guide, Second Edition" - Olaf Kirch and
Terry Dawson
"Linux System Administrators Guide" - Lars Wirzenius
"Linux Users Guide" - Larry Greenfield
"Linux Kernel 2.4 Internals" - Tigran Aivazian and "The Linux Kernel
Module Programming Guide" - Ori Pomerantz

All in /usr/share/doc/Books

Next start reading /usr/src/linux/Documentation

I do not want to diacourage you. It might just be better to start with
things you can comprehand, like the sourcecode for smaller program.

houghi	Please do not toppost
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
sight and  sound but of mind.  A journey into a  wondrous land of
imagination. Next stop, Usenet

Relevant Pages