SuSE 10 'upgrade' no sound now :(

From: Doug Cole (doug.n7bfs_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/08/05

Date: 8 Nov 2005 13:36:05 -0800

Ok, I have a Intel D865gbf mobo that has onboard sound.
It worked fine with SuSE 9.2, now 'upgrading' to the download version
of SuSE 10 (I have purchased every other version of SuSE but this one)
and a fresh install. A number of things don't work, but the one that
bugs me the most is my sound doesn't work at all, if I run yast it says
something about failure to configure, if I run alsaconf from a root
console it acts like it works, but nothing out of the speakers, I don't
see any errors when booting, and when I try and run xmms to play an
online stream I get nothing :(
I have set all the mixer levels, so I know its not those, I have
disabled the "timeout" in kde control panel, still no go...

Ok, now that I have vented, I also installed a sound blaster 16 pci
that I use for testing purposes since I know it works with all versions
of SuSE that I have owned, and it installed and is detected and seems
to play system notification sounds but won't play streaming mp3 under
xmms, so what the -bleep- did SuSE do to sound ?

This would be a good indicator for me not buying the for $$ version if
it is an actual downgrade...

the actual output of lspci -v is

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R)
 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Desktop Board D865GBF
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 201
        Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at febff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

for the onboard sound.

I really don't want to use the SB16pci since that is a "tool" that I
use for other purposes, and since it didn't help my playing of online
streams I think that something else is messed up, so any help would be
appreciated.

I hope SuSE is not going downhill since the Novell buy, I have been a
paying supporter since ver7.0 and really loved how easy it was to get a
SuSE pc running...

Oh well, maybe have to give Kubuntu a try like my co-worker keeps
nagging me...

Ok, enough of me rambling...

Douglas Cole