Re: the business side of linux suse

From: PerfectReign (theperfectreign_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/21/05

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:12:51 -0800

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:45:51 -0500, James Knott took a five-minute break
from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

> PerfectReign wrote:
>
>> Actually I care. I want Linux to succeed simply because I want to see a
>> valid desktop offering. I have been waiting since '94 when the promise of
>> Warp was there only to be dashed by IBM's own ineptitude. The less able
>> Windows 95 Shell for DOS came in and stole the show. Pathetic as it was,
>> the OS/2 folks couldn't put it together.
>
> Part of IBM's "own ineptitude" was extortion by MS. They insisted that IBM
> stop marketing OS/2, before they'd be allowed to get a decent price on
> Windows 95. Then there was MS "encouraging" computer vendors to sell only
> Windows. Both of these were covered in the Microsoft trial, a few years
> back.

I was actually on the phone with the folks from Boca Raton about the time
Win95 was released. I remember doing a side-by-side comparison on two
identical 486/DX 40 machines where we loaded one with OS/2 and the other
with Win95. We then ran a bunch of scripts to perform side-by-side tasks.
Totally unscientific but it showed the OS/2 machine finishing said tasks
in about thirty seconds. The Win95 machine took more than five minutes.

Anwyay, I mentioned this to the Boca support team and told them that they
needed to make OS/2 simply look better. They said they had tried to get
better designers in but were shot down by upper management in New York. Go
figure.

--
kai
www.perfectreign.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to create a USB flash software repository?
    ... Deleting personal files isn't breaking Linux though. ... Win95 that included adding a usable browser, ... Win95 first edition did not have a browser. ... There are plenty of people out there who have a loegal copy of Windows ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Department store self-checkouts run on XP (and they crash)
    ... being far more reliable than Windows (either of that time, ... OS/2 was/is reliable and very predictable. ... OS/2 works pretty much like linux. ... Maybe the reliability was due to not being bloated? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: unusual bike designs ect
    ... Assuming that the three different operating systems are Windows, Linux ... When it became apparent that OS/2 was destined to become ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: BSD: Relevant , Lennart Poettering Isnt Anymore
    ... of Linux such as RHEL, Suse, etc. seem to have made more headway into ... On the latest Windows 7, ... but honestly I still do prefer the FreeBSD approach were I can ... with OS/2) I'd be interested in hearing those thoughts. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: PcLinux
    ... Mind zap every time I see gcc... ... despicable than the simple limited capabilities of OS/2, ... can really quibble about is open for debate even between linux distros. ... herd of rabid badgers would be preferable to using Windows, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)