Re: How can I set a network card to active....

Hello community !

Engelkott wrote:

Today i decided to reinstall SuSe so i can tackle your suggestions
from a clean install. I was messing with it yesterday so i wanted to
make sure my tamperings had no caused SuSe to not work with my card.

I followed your instructions and got up to the point where i try and
ping the router and the message i received was "Destination Host
Unreachable". If i try and log on to the router in a browser i get the
message "The connection was refused when attempting to contact
192.168.0.1".

This also happened when i ser the router to not act as a DHCP server.
The ipaddress i have in SuSe is one i manually set. The following is
the current replies when typing rcnetwork restart and further down
ifconfig. The reason eh0 does not have an ipaddress is only because
have not connected the cable. If connected that works perfectly with
no problems and is assigned an ipaddress by the router.

Thanks again for your help!

Engelktot

linux:/home/graham # rcnetwork restart

Shutting down network interfaces:
eth0 device: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815
(MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
eth0 configuration: eth-id-00:03:0d:04:76:d7
done
wlan0 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8180L 802.11b
MAC (rev 20)
wlan0 configuration: wlan-id-00:09:5b:63:90:87
done
Shutting down service network . . . . . . . . . . . . .
done.
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
lo
lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
done
eth0 device: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815
(MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
eth0 configuration: eth-id-00:03:0d:04:76:d7
eth0 (DHCP) . . . . . no IP address yet... backgrounding.
waiting
wlan0 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8180L 802.11b
MAC (rev 20)
wlan0 configuration: wlan-id-00:09:5b:63:90:87
wlan0 warning: using NO encryption
ifup-wireless: command 'iwconfig wlan0 nick linux' returned
ifup-wireless: Error for wireless request "Set Nickname" (8B1C) :
ifup-wireless: SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not
permitted.
wlan0 IP address: 192.168.0.7/24
done
Setting up service network . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
done.

What we can see here is that eth0 did not get an IP address (probably
cable not connected ...) and wlan0 got 192.168.0.7. This is confirmed by
the output of ifconfig.

Now we would need an information to the routing. Could you please post
the output of "route -n" ?
--
Never give up !

Gruß, Reinhard.

Thread in "c.o.l.m": "Do we need wine ?"
The best answer: "We certainly do. A man can't drink beer all the time."