Re: How can I set a network card to active....

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:47:24 +0100, Reinhard Gimbel
<reinhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello community !

Engelkott wrote:

As i mentioned in my previous post eh0 did not get an ipaddress
because i left the cable out. If i plug the cable in then eh0 would
work perfectly. I guess i would not be able to tell wlan0 was not
working if the cable connection was working as i would get to the
outside world?

O.k., you are right but you should play the "pissed one" if somebody
tries to summarize/support known issues.

I'm not sure if you are using the SUSE box for writing these messages ...

No, i am using a Windows XP machine for these messages. I am fortunate
to have a couple of other machines knocking around! ;-)

Now we would need an information to the routing. Could you please post
the output of "route -n" ?

Here it is:

linux:/home/graham # route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
Iface
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

The route table looks perfect ...

Next question: Is your router located within subnet 192.168.0.0, i.e. is
the router's IP address 192.168.0.1 ?

You can get this information by connecting your notebook to the router
and restarting the network services. An "ifconfig" and/or "route -n"
might bring some light in the dark ...

Yes, my router is 192.168.0.1. It currently has no encryption on the
wireless link and i have one normal computer, a Windows CE device and
my laptop able to connect to the internet via the wireless link. My
laptop is a duel booting machine between WinXP and SuSe 10.

Thanks for your help,

Engelkott

  • Re: Goodbye SuSE 9.2. Hello gentoo!
    ... Windows or Linux is the laptop. ... All three Athlon boxes run SuSE fast enough that it doesn't get in the way - ... Certain tasks would load quicker, ... Yoper is almost instant as clicking the fstab icon opens a terminal session ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Cant find NT Box and Printer with YaST - update
    ... Next we setup a simple share with SAMBA and attempted to copy a file from ... We invoked the Network Neighborhood and found the SuSE box, ... >and Linux client/Windows server. ... >Linux client is the easier case, assuming that the Windows printer is working ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Is SuSe ready for me yet?
    ... They astounded me with their ease of install and use. ... If you install the suse 'evaluation' version of 10.0 or be sure to ... A year in linux time is equivalent to many years of windows time. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Why cant I access microsoft.com
    ... I did a fresh install I thought. ... > everything that was defined for Windows 98, ... If you get an error about the IP name, host not ... > browsing to them through a different route gets you there. ...