Re: Adding 2nd CPU after install

flarosa wrote:

I have a dual-CPU motherboard which currently has only 1 CPU installed.

I ordered a 2nd identical CPU and expect to have it in a week.

In the meantime, can I go ahead and install Linux? Will it adapt
dynamically to the 2nd CPU after I get it, or does the installer have
to recognize it and install different kernel code during the initial
installation?

Thanks,
Frank

Yes you can install Linux, however most installers will detect the single
CPU and install a kernel optimised for that configuration. With such a
kernel your second CPU would not be used after you've installed it. However
you can manually install an SMP kernel after the initial Linux
installation, and make that the default kernel used by your. Advantages:
your system will immediately make use of the second CPU once its installed.
Disadvantages: a slight (very slight) loss of performance while running a
single CPU (an SMP kernel is not optimised for single CPU configurations).

Hope this helps.

Alan

  • Re: SMP detection
    ... I have the SMP-GENERIC kernel and it ... only launches one cpu. ... I've decided to disable SMP from BIOS. ... way to install one already precompiled? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: building a new DIY PC
    ... I will install the Zalman CNPS9700 LED cooler now before bringing into the ... I can go buy a bunch of other parts so I could tell myself if it's the CPU ... chip, motherboard, RAM sticks, which the RAM stick are brand new also, ... shouldn't be a problem now with the CPU chip and motherboard. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • In the midst of chaos, an adventure can be found Topic Summary: A beginners journey into the realm o
    ... I've built it up and am installing windows. ... AMD CPU Driver & Optimizer. ... Quick restart then the mobo drivers, another restart and on go the ... I install ASUS PC Probe and the AI Booster utilities. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: [SLE] show number of cpus
    ... >> uni or multi processor kernel during install. ... > If you have two CPUs or an HT CPU SuSE will automatically install the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Adding 2nd CPU after install
    ... CPU and install a kernel optimised for that configuration. ... your system will immediately make use of the second CPU once its installed. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)