VCMUX and PPPoATM causing freeze?

I've just started using SUSE 10.0 after Ubuntu kept freezing on me - i.e no mouse or keyboard response whatsoever.
To my horror, SUSE is now doing the same. It seems to be caused by installing a Speedtouch USB ADSL modem following the instructions given here:

A quick Google ( all I have time for before the machine freezes again ) reveals this:

Does anybody have any further info?

Normally I would do my own research but I only get between 0 and 5 minutes before having to re-boot :(

Relevant Pages

  • rotten
    ... Had trouble with ff3 on suse 11.1 locking up and freezing whole ... Just noticed it was stuck at so I googled that ...
  • Suse 9.2, Ndiswrapper, stacks, and freeze-ups during startup
    ... I tried Suse 9.2 a couple of months ago, installed ndiswrapper, and ... found the system kept freezing during booting. ...