Problems mounting data CD's

My optical drive is a Lite-ON 12X DVD burner. When I
insert a data CD (for example, to install a program),
an application sometimes pops up offering to open it,
and sometimes not.

If not? Then I try to mount the CD, but that's a lost
cause. The likely reason is the entry in fstab, as
follows, but I'm not quite sure what's wrong.

/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,unhide,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8
0 0

If I cd to /media/dvdrecorder as root, it says "No
medium found." (There are no complaints with mount
/media/dvdrecorder, but it seems not to do it.) When I
attempt to mount it as /dev/hdc, which it actually is,
I get the "bad option, bad superblock" sort of thing.
What's going on?
--
Robert T. Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com

  • Alternate Installation Methods [was: Configuring GRUB to boot FC-5-i386-DVD.iso]
    ... I do not have a DVD burner, I thought I could upgrade from a hard drive image i ... USB DVD burner for about $80 US, ... On the FC box mount a CD and run this: ... So that's when I went to try a hard drive-based install of FC5. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problems mounting data CDs
    ... insert a data CD (for example, to install a program), ... an application sometimes pops up offering to open it, ... Then I try to mount the CD, ... bad superblock" sort of thing. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Problems mounting data CDs
    ... insert a data CD (for example, to install a program), ... an application sometimes pops up offering to open it, ... Then I try to mount the CD, ... Anyway here is my fstab entry ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Problems mounting data CDs
    ... Robert Kopp wrote: ... insert a data CD (for example, to install a program), ... an application sometimes pops up offering to open it, ... Then I try to mount the CD, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed
    ... cleanest possible install. ... ran netinstall off floppies accepting all defaults: still unable to mount ... booted the Linux box from the hard disk into the testing Debian distro, ... allow me to turn off shadowing for either the video BIOS or the main BIOS. ...
    (Debian-User)